Acer 5315 wont power on after bios update

Options
cypher007
cypher007 Member Posts: 1 New User

i have had to completely unhelpful and scripted conversations on chat and telephone. i need proper tech support. iam a tech of 20+ years and i know what im doing when updating a bios.

i tried to update my friends 5315 from 1.19 to 1.45 using the updater on Acers support site. after running it the program instantley failed with a verify failed error. now the machine is completely dead. ive searched on google and found this seems to be a common problem, and one which in mine and a few others case seems to be unreparable using the recovery method.

i would like to know why Acer has left the files on there support site, which it would seem kill the laptop upon running, and what they intend to do to fix this unit F.O.C.

the support just keep saying its out of warranty like a broken record. well as far as im concerned this fault is of Acers doing so you can fix it.

Answers

• Inspiration101
    Inspiration101 Member Posts: 185 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

I for one know the Aspire 5315 BIOS update does work. 

I never use some auto updating program to do critical jobs........dangerous - as you have discovered.

I always advise to do BIOS updates manually.  You will also note that there are disclaimers on all BIOS updates with all manufacturers that if you decide to do a BIOS update then the onus for any failures is on the user.

As a tech of 20+ years I suppose you know the next step will be to find a crisis bios to bring your computer back to life.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer/284686-aspire-5315-bios-recovery-using-usb-thumbdrive-4.html

Easy peasy, good luck ! Smiley Happy

• n2gc
    n2gc Member Posts: 104 Troubleshooter
    Options

Wow. Sorry you're having a prob as serious as a corrupt BIOS update. I'm running a 5315 with

a Core 2 Dual T-8100, a Samsung 128 SSD, 3 gig's of G.Skill ram, an Intel 4965 WIFI card, and

W7 Ultimate. After I retrofitted it, I updated the BIOS to 1.45 using WinFlash and had zero

probs.

The link above that Inspiration 101 is VERY helpful and I've used it on a client's 5315.

The 5315 is really a very robust unit and can take a real licking. I hope you get it going !

This discussion has been closed.