Travelmate 4200 Restore Disks

Options
Madman
Madman Member Posts: 2 New User

I'm helping a friend fix their Travelmate 4200.  It had a harddrive failure so I've replaced the hard drive.  They don't have any of their disks if it came with any.  I've put a copy of Win XP Pro on but it isn't accepting the Product Key from the sticker on the machine.  How do I get the disks to get this done and work with that key?

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi Madman!

Did the Travelmate have XP on originally or was it Vista? If it was XP, was it Pro or Home edition? If it was Vista or XP Home, the product key will not work with XP Pro.

If it is the correct version of Windows loaded then you could give Microsoft a call to see if they can activate it for you, although, with the impending death of XP, is it worth it?

• Madman
    Madman Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

It's XP Pro and OEM so Microsoft points back to the manufacturer.

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

I've used Microsoft many, many times to activate an edition of Windows used with the OEM's product key with no problems at all! Usually, in cases similar to your own...

You could try to contact Acer support for your region if you wish, but as XP is no longer supported you may not be able to activate it with Acer.

This discussion has been closed.