Antivirus for Iconia W700

Options
Sagittarius
Sagittarius Member Posts: 2 New User

I uninstall McAfee cause trial period was about to expire. I installed NOD32 v5.... Rebooted tab and every time it freezes when starts. I mean it freezes on the login page. I was not even able to log in. I had to do a hard shut down maybe like 20 time before I was able to log in. I started in the safe mode thinking that would be able to fix something but no luck, it was freezing  in a safe mode as well. I spend more than an hour to restart tab again and log in. As soon as I was able to do so, I uninstalled NOD32. After that tab seems working fine. However safe mode is still freezing.
Does anyone knows what the hell is going on here?
Now I don't have any antivirus installed and want to get one from torrents. Any suggestions on what should I get that would not freeze this tab, work fine and do not eat lots of memory? I used NOD32 on my laptop for a couple of years and now upgraded to a newer version and never had this issue before, not with new version not with old one. It seems to me that it was only on a tablet with win 8

I have two questions:

1. Does anyone knows why tablet behaved that way with Antivirus?
  2. What Antivirus should I use now?

Thank you

Answers

• Joshua188
    Joshua188 Member Posts: 523 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Well i would say go with the smallest footprint Avg is fairly small and free so always a good option. also the issue with the antivirus is some of the high end ones can edit reg and as well cause issue on boot if it modifies the startup apps.

• Sagittarius
    Sagittarius Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks for reply

I also thought that the reg could be edited by antivirus. I just don't know in what directory to look for any changes. I will try to use search inside of reg today after work to see if there any instance of NOD32 or ESET is still there. Whatever caused that issue, it was scary for me.

I think AVG is too weak. This would be my last resort. I thought about McAfee, since it was installed and did not cause any issues, but again, not sure how weak this thing is as well. Kaspersky uses too much resources. Maybe Norton... I am looking for something less powerfull than Kaspersky or NOD32 but good enough to find viruses and not freeze my tablet

• Tarkus406
    Tarkus406 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

I use Norton 360 and have noticed the latest version is much better with system resources. I'd say they worked on it a bit to make it work well on Windows tablets.

I had one hell of a time installing it, though, thanks to Acer's McAfee trial.

• cylemmulo
    cylemmulo Member Posts: 54

Tinkerer

Options

I would just stick with windows defender honestly, is simple, unintrusive and works well honestly.

I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials which is now just windows defender for the past like 3 years and I havn't had a single issue.

• sc00ter98
    sc00ter98 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Options
    I use avast on my Android and now also on my w8 Tab. It is for free.
This discussion has been closed.