Virtual Surround Sound, on Acer Aspire 5750-6887. Windows 7.

Jay0253
Jay0253 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello, I just bought a new laptop an Acer Aspire 5750-6887 and I didn't notice but it has built in "Virtual Surround Sound". 

I thought this was neat at first but it isn't that great. First of all, I can hear everything my family does in other rooms. Yeah, quite annoying when trying to watch videos and stuff. Second, I can hear every keyboard click I make. Once again, comes to be an annoyance. 

Anyone know how I can turn this nonsense off? I tried going to Playback Devices and changing a few things but it didn't work. Smiley Sad

Answers

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon

If I am understanding what you are saying, the problem is not the "Virtual Surround Sound" as that just provides you virtual surround sound enviroment when playing movies, games, etc. The problem sounds like you are getting reverb from your microphone and picking up all the sounds coming in (keyboard keys being hit or other exteral noise), then playing it back through the speakers. This can be changed by turning off microphone boost, or by muting your microphone.

You can get to the microphone options by opening the Control Panel, click Sound, then select the Recording tab. Locate and click the active mirophone ( it will have a green check mark next to it), then right-click the microphone and select Disable or go into the properties and turn off the microphone boost.

You should also be able to click Configure and go through the Windows Microphone Setup Wizard. This should adjust the microphone settings without having to manually set them.

This discussion has been closed.