Acer Aspire TC-605 Not Working With Nvidia GTX 650

Options
JackALope044
JackALope044 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I've been looking around on these forums and elsewhere for the past couple of days, and it seems that this isn't exactly an uncommon issue.

A couple of days ago, my old desktop basically completely bricked on me. I was planning on buying some parts and building my own, but I needed a computer right away, so I went down to my local Best Buy and picked an Acer Aspire TC-605 up. I pick up a new PSU, too, since I know I have my Nvidia GTX 650 I only bought last year I'd like to put in this thing.

So I get home, boot it up, works great, shut it down, open it up and get to work replacing the GPU and getting the GTX 650 installed in there. Everything seems fine, except when I go to boot it up with the 650... Nothing happens. No splash screen. No boot. No nothing. If I remove the 650, of course, it boots just fine. 650 back in? No boot. Nothing.

Apparently, from what I've been reading, Acer computers and Nvidia cards don't like to play nice with each other. I have attempted to set my BIOS from UEFI into Legacy (Which is the solution, according to some) but I've found that my BIOS has literally no option to turn into Legacy boot mode, which I've alternately heard is either due to the fact that this computer came equipped for Windows 8, which means no Legacy boot mode, or because Acer intentionally left the Legacy boot mode out for whatever reason.

Either way, I have a $200+ graphics card I bought only last year and a $500+ brand new computer that refuse to work with one another, which, in my opinion, is completely absurd. I have no idea why, in the year 2014, we have computer hardware that aren't standardized to make sure they work with one another.

Now that I'm done venting and ranting, I was hoping somebody here might be able to tell me how I'm going to get my Nvidia card to work with my Acer computer. I'd rather not have to return this Acer and get the Lenovo that was sitting right next to it, since the Lenovo would set me back another odd $200. Not to mention the physical hassle.

So please, please. Somebody tell me how to get this GPU working with this computer. Is there some way to change the boot into Legacy? Is there some way to get the GTX working with UEFI/Acer? Should I just replace the motherboard? Can I install a different BIOS? I'll do whatever it takes, as long as it doesn't take buying a whole new computer just so I can use the GTX in that one.

Thanks,

Jack

Answers

• JackALope044
    JackALope044 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Apparently, at least according to the sticker on the side of the tower, the computer I have is actually an ATC-605-UB11, if that makes a difference.

I don't know why System was telling me it's a TC-605.

Sincerely,

Jack

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Options

This issue has nothing to do with Acer and nVidia not working together. It does however, have everything to do with Microsoft restrictions on non UEFI hardware. (This is just the beginning!) In fact, some cards which are not UEFI compliant will function but not all. To remove the restriction, you will likely need to switch 'Secure Boot' off.
    With 'Secure' boot' enabled, newly installed hardware may prevent your machine from booting.

As an aside, you may need an adapter to use a different PSU as I believe (but may be wrong) your model uses a 12pin motherboard power connector.

• khanghoang71
    khanghoang71 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I have a same issue, and what I did was I unplug the GTX 650 then I booted the PC up, and then I entered to Bios Setup ( press Delete  when it start) mode. In there, I did two things:  one is I disable the Secure Boots, and other is under boot option, chose alway for LAUNCH CSM. Then it worked for me. 

• JKH
    JKH Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Hi Folks,

I have the same Acer Desktop (ATC-605-UB11) and am trying to add a zotac nvidia GT-610 to support dual monitors thru DVI-D for my home office. I am having the same issue (no boot/black scfeen) even after disabling secure booting, but my bios will not allow me to make a launch.csm choice. It simply defaults to NEVER. May I ask what version bios your PCs are running, please? I upgraded to P11-A4 from P11-A2, thinking this might help me boot after installing my video card. I would really appreciate any assitance that anyone can provide. Many thanks!

• jacloudecou
    jacloudecou Member Posts: 10 New User
    Options

after disabling secure boot, are you sure youcan't change "never" to "always" launch CSM? "never" written in black or in blue? Ifin blue click enter on it for making the change. If in black after disabling secure boot, I don't understand .try 0845 745 745.good luck!

• JKH
    Options

Sadly, it is in black... and I don't understand either. I bought it as a refurb at NewEgg.com. Perhaps it is an outlier. Thanks very much for your reply!

• JKH
    Options

FWIW, I can verify that this PC will support two monitors natively. One via VGA and the other via HDMI with an HDMI => DVI-D adapter 

• Chrispy132
    Chrispy132 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Will the GTX650 fit into the motherboard? I checked what model the motherboard is, a MS 7869 motherboard, and it appears that an HD Audio pin is in front of the expansion slot. Did you have to unplug it or something because I too bought a GTX 650.

• jimclarencee
    jimclarencee Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Did this thing work? Please. I have the same issue