(Solved) Extensa 5420 Notebook Powers Off Suddenly While Booting XP, Works Just Fine on Ubuntu Linux

Options
zoofer
zoofer Member Posts: 2 New User

Strangest thing I've ever seen. Fresh WinXP SP3 install, so viruses are apparantly not the problem.

POST and Acer BIOS splash screen OK.

After a few seconds the WinXP splash screen appears, and 10-15 seconds later the power immediately shuts down. Same thing happens both in safe mode or normal boot. The same thing occurs even after being turned off for several hours, so overheating isn't an issue.

Especially because the same laptop works perfectly when Linux is installed. I've tried 10-15 different versions of Linux and all appear to work just fine. The laptop will run weeks at a time under Linux, but crashes HARD when I attempt to reinstall WinXP.

Anybody ever seen anything like this before? Any suggestions appreciated!

KC

UPDATE #1: I installed Linux Mint onto a different partition of the same hard drive and now I can boot into XP via the GRUB bootloader. I will let it run and see what happens. Fingers are crossed!

UPDATE #2: Apparantly overheating WAS the issue. I removed the heat sink from the CPU and discovered that the original heat sink compound had completely dried up, resulting in poor contact between the CPU and the heat sink itself. I cleaned off the residue, applied a new glob of heat sink compound and reattached the heat sink.

That apparantly did the trick. I have had no additional issues with unexpected power shutdowns. I can only guess that Linux did not put as much stress on the CPU as WinXP did, which is why the laptop would work great under Linux but not under XP.

This discussion has been closed.