Acer Aspire V3-772G Upgrade Options

Bcommercial
Bcommercial Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Hi all,

I've been trying to get info as to the upgrade options for a new Acer Aspire V3 which I wish to buy online, but can't get satisfactory info neither from the vendors website (nor the official Acer website either for that matter or at least I couldn't find it), nor elsewhere on the web but thankfully have found this forum so maybe I'll get lucky, so here goes! Smiley Happy

The model is being offered as "Acer Aspire V3-772G-747a8G75Mamm", with 17.3", Intel Core i7-4702MQ, 8GB, 750GB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760M, DVD.

I have 2 Q's

Firstly, It's being offered with 8Gb Ram in 2x4Gb modules and says that it has just a total of 2 slots which can take a max of 16Gb (ie in 2x8Gb modules). However they don't offer the option to substitute the 2x8 modules for the 2x4 modules so you'd just have to buy the laptop with the 2x4 and then buy additionally the 2x8Gb sticks and replace them yourself, leaving the original 2x4 sticks as unnecessary and unused excess. That being the case I probably would just go with the original option of just 8Gb Ram and leave it at that.

However, I've come across online that this model may in fact have a total of 4 Ram slots (2 of which being hidden behind a 2nd hard disk bay possibly?), and can be upgraded to a total of 32Gb ram in 4x8Gb modules. If this were indeed the case, I would purchase the laptop as is with the 2x4Gb ram modules, and purchase an additional 2x8 Gb modules to insert in the 3rd and 4th slots to give a total of 8 + 16 = 24Gb Ram.

So my Q is, is this true with the 4 ram slots and if so could I mix them with 2x4Gb and 2x8Gb sticks to give me my 24Gb memory? ... anyone got any info on that would be really great.

Secondly, I believe that a second hard disk can be installed and I'd wish to buy a second SSD to insert and then install the OS onto that one and keep the original HDD just for data etc, however am not sure if that's possible or if it's a specific type of SSD that has to be installed. I was thinking of something like the "Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120GB, 2.5", 9,5mm, SATA600" but again don't know if this would work (in the SSD specs onsite it lists All the OS's that support it but doesn't mention Windows 8 for some reason and I'd hope and assume that they just overlooked updating their product description)

Phew!…a lot of info there and thanks for taking the time to read and of course any bit of help greatly appreciated

Thanks Guys

Answers

• vvprad
    vvprad Member Posts: 246 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Memory Type: DDR3 PC3-12800, DDR3 PC3-14900, DDR3 (non-ECC)
    Maximum Memory: 16GB
    Slots available: 2

• vvprad
    vvprad Member Posts: 246 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Refer this LINK

• idiotix
    idiotix Member Posts: 1 New User

Maybe the No. of Ram modules would depend on different spec.s of the V3-772G. I bought one last month and it offered four. However, I was forced to refund it due to faulty graphics card. Still, think it is great though. Smiley Happy

• Bcommercial

Tinkerer

vvprad wrote:

Refer this LINK

Thnx for your reply.

Regarding the Ram my problem is that I've seen other versions of the V3-772G reviewed with 4 slots and 32 Gb Ram (4x8Gb), eg the "Acer Aspire V3-772G-747A321 Notebook" featured in this review, and so don't know if all versions of V3-772G's come with 4 slots or just some of them.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Acer-Aspire-V3-772G-747A321-Notebook.93916.0.html

With regard to installing a second SSD as a bootable device for my OS, I appreciate the link with thanks but my main query initially is to know what kind of SSD I could install and then after that how to get the windows 8 which comes pre-installed (without disks I assume) on the original HDD onto my new SSD.

Thanks

• Bcommercial

Tinkerer

idiotix wrote:

Maybe the No. of Ram modules would depend on different spec.s of the V3-772G. I bought one last month and it offered four. However, I was forced to refund it due to faulty graphics card. Still, think it is great though. Smiley Happy

Thanks...yeah this is exactly my problem I'm trying to solve...btw did you not get the same laptop version for your replacement?

• Bcommercial

Tinkerer

Mmmm...nobody at all out there who can answer my queries? ... or specifically who knows how many ram slots in the above model Aspire V3 -772G? ...maybe a moderator could direct me further?  Smiley Happy

• Bcommercial

Tinkerer

Not much feedback from the forum on this one, but for those others who may be interested here's how things stand so far. I finally tracked down the following info from the vendor website

"Thank you for your email. The Acer Aspire V3-772G-747a8G75Mamm has 4 memory slots, for a maximum of 32GB (4x 8GB). The current occupied lay-out is 2x 4GB. Without changing the current memory banks, you could add 2x 4GB or 2x 8GB.

(Memory Crucial 1.35v - 16 GB : 2 x 8 GB - SO DIMM 204-pin - DDR3 - 1600 MHz / PC3-12800 - CL11)

The SSD you suggested (Kingston HyperX 3K - Solid state drive - 240 GB - internal - 2.5" - SATA-600) fits in the laptop. A mounting kit plus 3,5 inch bay adapter are included."

I'd read somewhere that the I7 4702Q cpu "prefers" 1.35v Ram instead of 1.5v although I was assured by vendor that either voltage would be compatible.

Laptop (Windows 8 pre-installed on HDD), additional Ram & SSD hae been ordered and will update how I get on with installation. I'd hope to get WIndows running on the SSD then upgrade to 8.1 and use the existing HDD mainly for data ..that's the plan anyways Smiley Happy

This discussion has been closed.