Memory upgrade on R7-572-6423

Options
michail71
michail71 Member Posts: 14 New User

I haven't seen a thread here on the new model so I figured I'd ask here.  The published specs mention the laptop is upgradable to 16 GB of ram.  However, I ran CPU-Z to check the memory installed.  It says there are two 4 GB Kingston Value Ram sticks installed in banks 1 and 3.  It shows banks 2 and 4 as empty.

Now I see that there are single 8 GB modules available on the market.  Would it be possible to upgrade the laptop to 24 GB or 32 GB of ram?

Also, as I have a torx driver on order I haven't been able to open up the system yet to check.  Are there really 4 memory slots available?  I see mention the previous model had solded chips.

Best Answer

• Andrik
    Andrik Member Posts: 19

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    Spoiler

Guys,

16 Gb is the max possible memory for the R7 572. and there are only 2 slots.

!!!Remember when upgrading, you need LOW VOLTAGE memory (1,35v), not the normal voltage(1,5 v). the more common normal voltage memory will NOT be recognized by the R7!!

regards,

Andrik

Answers

• MDacerGuy
    MDacerGuy Member Posts: 39

Tinkerer

Options

There are a couple of threads about the R7 572 on here,one talked about the hardrive upgrade and memory upgrade.

But to answer your question anyway, when I upgrade to a SSD, I looked at the memory and I only saw 2 slots. Furthermore as you read its only supposed to max out at 16gig. I was thinking about upgrading too until I used a program called Cleanmem, which actually makes sure apps free up memory when done, and now I have determine that 16gig wont help me. (it will usually only help you if you currently are running low on membery)

• michail71
    Options

Out of curiosity I picked up a 2x8 kit today and will give it a try. Hopefully I'll have that tiny torx screw driver tomorrow.

If it doesn't work I'll be able to exchange.

I also experimented with the Surface Pen and that failed to work on this digitizer.  I'll order the Acer pen.

• PenguinJim
    PenguinJim Member Posts: 72 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

I believe that the references to "Banks 2 and 4" are simply software support, not hardware. I don't think the slots are physically there.

michail71, here's a quick guide to taking apart an R7 that helps with the hidden screws!

• Andrik

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    Spoiler

Guys,

16 Gb is the max possible memory for the R7 572. and there are only 2 slots.

!!!Remember when upgrading, you need LOW VOLTAGE memory (1,35v), not the normal voltage(1,5 v). the more common normal voltage memory will NOT be recognized by the R7!!

regards,

Andrik

• michail71
    Options

Thank you, I just came back on here to post the same thing after I just got the bottom off.  So anyone upgrading this would have to get two 8 GB dimms sticks.

By the way, anyone know what the slot is between the WiFi card and CPU fan?  It's marked JMSATA1 and looks to be free. Can a SSD be added there?  It doesn't seem to have much room or mounts around it.

• michail71
    Options

The sticks I got at Best Buy were 1.5v.  So I ordered some Crucial Ballistix Sport 1.35v CL9.  Costs less and lower latency too.  It seems there is only a handful of options at the given voltage and speed.

A little word of caution when it comes to removing the screws under the pads.  The long pad wanted to sepparate from its adhesive layer and won't to go back on as snug.  I'll put some adhesive on there when I reassemble everything. 

I guess the other port on there is a msata port.  It looks like it would be easy to do an SSD upgrade.

• MDacerGuy

Tinkerer

Options

yeah I bought a 64gig SSD and installed windows 8.1 on that

I used the TB drive for my movies and music storage

system is much faster when windows resides on a SSD

• PenguinJim
    PenguinJim Member Posts: 72 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

"By the way, anyone know what the slot is between the WiFi card and CPU fan?"

That youtube video I linked above points out the various slots inside the R7, so you can see what you can put where.

• michail71
    Options

I put in the Crucial Ballistix today. Better timings too over the CAS11 memory the system came with.  I'll probsbly get a msata soon but for some reason the system seems rather fast for a 5400 rmp laptop drive. It boots up rather quick.  I've seen some horrible performance on laptop drives. 

• Andrik

Tinkerer

Options

That's because windows 8.1 has this feature called fast-startup. 

I believe it's on by default. In this mode it never really, really shuts dows but pseudo hibernates.

I have both the msata disk and an SSD installed. If you got the money I highly recommend this setup, it's fast and ultra-quiet. And the SSD runs cooler than a mechanical disk.

• michail71
    Options

My problem is that I never want to use the magnetic disk when I have a SSD available in a system. Smiley Happy  You can feel the lag when switching over.

I'm in the middle of a big software project so I'll wait for that to be over first.

• MDacerGuy

Tinkerer

Options

what setup you have?

and switching over to what?

• michail71
    Options

MDacerGuy wrote:

what setup you have?

and switching over to what?

I just have the R7-572-6423 as is with the memory upgraded to 16 GB.  I plant to upgrade to an SSD drive sometime in the near future but I can't afford the down time now.

This discussion has been closed.