Reinstall Windows 8.1 on the Iconia W3-810

bassie9
bassie9 Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited March 18 in 2020 Archives

Hello,

I have some problems with my Acer Iconia W3 running Windows 8.1 Retail. Many Windows functions malfunction. The Office Upload Center gives weird errors and Windows keeps telling me that my Microsoft account has to be verified. I want to reïnstall Windows 8.1 without the recovery-partition, because I think the Acer ***** causes the malfunction of logging in and the SkyDrive problems. I am experienced in the IT and I totally know what I'm going to do. I have already updated my UEFI to version 1.07 (the newest).

I am planning to install Windows 8.1 Enterprise with an USB-stick. But I've never done this on a tablet before. Are there any things I should know about? I mean the differences between installing Windows 8.1 on a regular pc and on the Acer Iconia W3-810?

An other option is to reinstall Windows 8.1 core by using the feature 'Remove everything and reinstall Windows' in combination with the original Windows 8.1 Retail x86 DVD. I need the DVD because the feature uses the files on the DVD to reïnstall Windows 8.1.

I prefer the Windows 8.1 Enterprise option. Or should I use the recovery-partition to go back to Windows 8 and upgrade to Windows 8.1?

What do you guys think I should doMan Happy? My current installation doesn't work for me eitherMan Sad.

Best Answer

• bassie9
    Answer ✓

The reinstall succeededSmiley Very Happy!

It wasn't very hard. But you will need a USB mouse too, because the touchscreen doesn't work during the installation. 

Here are the steps:

1. Create a bootable USB disk that is compatible with the UEFI GPT partition table. You can do this by using the tool Rufus.

2. Turn on the tablet and press <F2> when the Acer logo appears.

3. Use the mouse to navigate to the boot menu tab and adjust the boot sequence by moving the USB disk to the first entry.

4. Save the changes and the tablet will boot from the USB stick.

5. Wait a few minutes to complete the USB boot.

6. Install Windows just like you do on a regular pc. ATTENTION: DO NOT DELETE THE PARTITIONS ON THE SSD! You should only format the Windows partition and select that partition to install Windows. DO NOT DELETE OR MODIFY THE OTHER PARTITIONS! They are necessary for the recovery media and the UEFI.

7. Activate Windows with your license.

8. Install the drivers by downloading them from the support site. For the current drivers, click here (11 february 2014): click! Unzip the folder that is stored in the zip. Install all the drivers at the same time by executing the setup file. Restart the tablet to make the changes take effect. Give the tablet some minutes to restart.

9. Install te updates that Windows Update offers.

DoneSmiley Tongue!

My tablet works like a charm now! I gained 6GB of free space. I've got 16GB of free space now instead of 10GBSmiley Very Happy(32GB version). The tablet is also a lot faster and it responds much more quickly! The bugs are also gone.

My problem is solvedSmiley Very Happy!

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer

The only real issues you'll run into with the Enterprise install are first configuring the BIOS for a USB boot and second getting the appropriate drivers installed. We have threads here that cover both... I'd pull all the Acer driver packages down first to a separate USB drive from the Enterprise install disk so you can get to them after the install finishes. You will need a keyboard connected during the boot process IIRC, so put a hub in place so you can have the keyboard and drive connected simultaneously.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • bassie9

Thanks for your reply billseySmiley Very Happy!

Then I have everything I need to install a clean Windows 8.1: an USB hub, a USB keyboard, a USB mouse and a lot of USB sticks. I will use the tool Rufus to create a bootable USB stick containing the Windows 8.1 Enterprise iso that is compatible with the UEFI (GPT) partition table.

I read on a topic that I have to press F2 during the UEFI start-up to launch the setup. From there I can adjust the boot sequence. This video helps me a lot with adjusting the boot sequence.

I read that on the C drive there is a hidden folder called 'oem'. In that folder the Acer drivers and programs are stored. There is also the Office 2013 setup stored, so I have to backup that folder. Of course I will use the latest drivers available on the support site of the Acer Iconia W3-810.

Now I can reinstall my tablet and use it with a lot more funSmiley Very Happy.

• billsey

Be sure and let us know how it works out and if you run into any issues during the process... I can guaranty that there will be someone else trying the same thing. Man Happy

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • bassie9
    Answer ✓

The reinstall succeededSmiley Very Happy!

It wasn't very hard. But you will need a USB mouse too, because the touchscreen doesn't work during the installation. 

Here are the steps:

1. Create a bootable USB disk that is compatible with the UEFI GPT partition table. You can do this by using the tool Rufus.

2. Turn on the tablet and press <F2> when the Acer logo appears.

3. Use the mouse to navigate to the boot menu tab and adjust the boot sequence by moving the USB disk to the first entry.

4. Save the changes and the tablet will boot from the USB stick.

5. Wait a few minutes to complete the USB boot.

6. Install Windows just like you do on a regular pc. ATTENTION: DO NOT DELETE THE PARTITIONS ON THE SSD! You should only format the Windows partition and select that partition to install Windows. DO NOT DELETE OR MODIFY THE OTHER PARTITIONS! They are necessary for the recovery media and the UEFI.

7. Activate Windows with your license.

8. Install the drivers by downloading them from the support site. For the current drivers, click here (11 february 2014): click! Unzip the folder that is stored in the zip. Install all the drivers at the same time by executing the setup file. Restart the tablet to make the changes take effect. Give the tablet some minutes to restart.

9. Install te updates that Windows Update offers.

DoneSmiley Tongue!

My tablet works like a charm now! I gained 6GB of free space. I've got 16GB of free space now instead of 10GBSmiley Very Happy(32GB version). The tablet is also a lot faster and it responds much more quickly! The bugs are also gone.

My problem is solvedSmiley Very Happy!

• billsey

Good job! Man Happy

• Gher09
    Gher09 Member Posts: 6 New User

Hi, Bassie9: I just did the reinstall as you do, and yes! It runs so much better and gain more gb to use.

Im downloading the updates, so i just want to ask you. Do you think the updates resolve the battery problem? My iconia wont charge at all, before i do this,  it charge but when i took off the charger it turns off every time.

I think all this new install of windows is very productive, i hope to resolve the battery/charge issue with the updates.

Regards!

• bassie9

Hello,

It's weird that you're experiencing charging issues. All over this forum I read about charging issues of the W3. A recent topic: click! 

Windows updates won't solve charging problems. Make sure you have all drivers installed. Check it in Device Manager.

In the recent topic the first reply suggests updating the BIOS to v1.07. That update won't be released for nothing Man Wink. So maybe that BIOS update will solve the charging problems. I've installed the update with the Acer Live Update program before I reinstalled the tablet. And I don't experience charging problems after the reinstall.

Do you think the updates resolve the battery problem? My iconia wont charge at all, before i do this,  it charge but when i took off the charger it turns off every time.

Do you mean that it worked perfectly before you did the reinstall?

I hope you can fix the charging problems without needing to return it Smiley Sad.

• Gher09

Yes, Let me describe you my issue.

I have an iconia w3 810 it only work with the charger plugged. So when im on windows it says Plugged and charging.. but i have 4 days now whitout at least 5% of charge, i had a weird windows load, it said 100% battery and charger plugged, so i turn it off and unplugged the charger but still the same trouble.

I already did the bios thing to 1.07 and nothing, im very estress whith this, i bought this devide form my savings and its a *****! Im frustrated in dont know what to do anymore.

Ill will make a downgrado to 8.0 and repeat all the process again.

• billsey

I'm thinking you have a bad battery. If you have already installed the 1.07 BIOS and it's acting as you say, then the battery itself is the logical culprit. Contact Acer support about getting a warranty work order started.

• Gher09

Ill do that, thnak you for your answer.

I hope to resolve this asap.

Regards

• bubumare
    bubumare Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello ! i read this post exactlley after i deleted partitions from my ssd iconia w3 -810 when i was trying to fresh instal windows 8. it is any posibility to recover partitions?

• Gher09

Thank You, I just did that, they help me alot.

I hope to recieve a nice and working Iconia in the future.

Thank you for your response and support.

Regards

• billsey

That is good to hear! Let us know when you receive the replacement.

• Gher09

Im so sorry to heard that, theres no way to recover a partition.

Keep or install de 8.1 and install all the updates.

Maybe some can post the name and size of the partitions and start from there... let me see if i can do that.

• Gher09

Try to look for the original Version of windows 8 from Acer, i remember someone has it here.  The partitions size are 400mb, 100 m, 8.00 Gb, i hope you can fix that trouble.

Regards

• daniel_lpp88
    daniel_lpp88 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello,

My Pc is not running the CD automatically, it just open the cd folder and I cannot start the recovery. There are a lot of folders inside and other icons I have no idea what they are. PLease could you tell me step by step what icon or folder should I open to initiate the recovery process?

Thanks

• antoniusagus
    antoniusagus Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi all,

Tried already these steps, still failed for W3-810 to boot from USB.

Is it because am using 16GB USB?

Any clue?

• billsey

16GB should be no problem. It is formatted FAT32, correct?

• antoniusagus

You are right, the USB was formatted for NTFS.

However, it creates another problem. As soon as Rufus select the ISO I have from MSDN, it goes into NTFS. When I change it into FAT32 and click Start, it shows "The file system currently selected cannot be used with this type of ISO". 

Still scratching my head Smiley Happy

• antoniusagus

I finally figure it out. After selecting the ISO, need to select GPT for UEFI from drop down to make Rufus do FAT32.

It works!

Case closed.