Acer r7-572 cpu underclock ?

armageddon51
armageddon51 Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi, just bought an R7-572-6637. So the laptop use an I5-4200U which is officialy clocked at 1.6Ghz, turbo 2.6Ghz. I used a program to charge the cpu at 100% and I can only get it up to 2.3Ghz. That's what Windows information also state. So is the R7 voluntary underclock and is it possible to get it to the full range ? The bios has no setting for that as most laptops. I don't know if 2.6Ghz will exceed the laptop thermal dissipation or it was done to prolongue the battery life.

Answers

• vvprad
    vvprad Member Posts: 246 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

There is no option to overclock the CPU, it may damage the processor and reduce the life time of the CPU.

• armageddon51

It is not overclocking, this i5-4200U is DESIGNED to turbo to 2.6Ghz. (btw, please don't spread the overclock damage *****.)

• IMHO, i5-4200U looks a very weak CPU, I think it's the 15W TDP is the reason for that under clocking, this CPU is only suitable for ultra notebooks/netbooks, very bad choice by the manufacturers for laptops.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4200U-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4200M

• armageddon51

Actually it is not underclock. After some research, the cpu is rated with LFM of 1.6Ghz and HFM 2.3Ghz (Intel speedstep tech.) which I see but it can also turbo to 2.6Ghz  IF turbo boost is enabled. I haven't find an utility which can tell me that and if indeed the cpu reach that speed instantanously . Btw, This is not a bad cpu, 2 cores 4 threads, very low power consumption is just fine with a laptop but it will be way better if it was allowed to reach it's rated speed. Good comparison with the faster 4200M version but consume more than double the power. I guest Acer went for battery longevity, noise and the very thin design doesn't allow for that much dissipation.

• vvprad
    vvprad Member Posts: 246 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

As per Intel, for i5 processors, you are not required to change the turbo settings, as this processor controls this feature automatically and there is no option to congifure the Turbo settings on a computer with 15 processor.

• armageddon51

The Turbo operation of the chip is controlled by Intel but you can turn it off in the bios, that is motherboard that give you this option (which is required to control manual overclocking) Most desktop motherboards has that feature but almost all laptops have little options in their bios. Temperature is way more critical in laptop. I think Acer turn it off since I never see that speed on the R7.

This discussion has been closed.