acer aspire v5-571p intermittent wifi limited connectivity and driver update questions

Options
roadkill
roadkill Member Posts: 17 New User

My wifi connection on the above intermittently drops to limited (seen this discussed on some other threads here but wanted this thread to focus on this model).

1. I downloaded driver updates from acer site, but when I used device manager to try to update the drivers windows responded that it has determined my drivers are up to date - should I delete existing drivers first?

2. Can anyone suggest a diagnosis and remedy - for diagnosis, would be nice to include process I can go through to confirm this / exclude alternative sources (since the discussion boards display numerous conflicting diagnoses for various models and widely differing endorsed remedies).

I have Qualcom atheros wireless network adaptor.

I have a newish router (asus RT-AC66U) and recently updated the firmware on that (in case its a windows 8 compatibility problem) - seemed to help for a while but problem is back.

I have multiple other devices that connect to the router none of which appear to have this problem (ipad ios7, 2 * win 7, xp *2, smartphone, TV via cable).

Thanks to all for any help.

Answers

• roadkill
    Options

Update: I have wondered on a few occasions whether the loss of connectivity is triggered by other devices logging on to the router, but can't see why that would happen.  Any thoughts?

Thanks.

• roadkill
    Options

update: tried windows 8 on a different machine and have not yet reproduced the problem, so I'm suspecting the problem is something to do with the aspire v5-571p (perhaps specific to the network adaptor).  Any thoughts?

Thanks.

• roadkill
    Options

I'm now thinking I should either phone technical support with this +/or send the unit in for a warranty repair.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these approaches?  Does the unit get fixed or does one just receive another with the same problem?  Is anyone else currently experiencing the same problem (looks like quite a few have had it in the past)?

Thanks

• roadkill
    Options

Update: I have now installed the driver updates for this model from the acer support page and am waiting to see if the problem continues.

• roadkill
    Options

The problem persists and seems to be with the wifi network adapter:

after a typical fail, I pinged the adapter it passed the first test but when I then pinged the default gateway the adapter timed out ('destination host unreachable').  

I'll try phoning this in to acer technical support and hope that acer doesn't have a policy of stonewalling phone calls as it seems to have with this discussion forum.

Thanks all

• MDacerGuy
    MDacerGuy Member Posts: 39

Tinkerer

Options

lol at thanks all when nobody responded

but let me know what support says, im starting to get this on my R7,and cant find a solution yet

• Wayne1
    Wayne1 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I just bought an acer V5-571 and have the same problems...updated all the drivers etc and now neither wifi or wired connections work...very frustrating...mine is a refurbished model, so you'd think they would of fixed that... worked ok to update to windows 8.1 but after that not well at all....

• Wayne1
    Wayne1 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I kept working at it and it seems my AD-Aware pro security firewall was the problem....

• NanCcan
    NanCcan Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I've been searching this site and others for answers to this problem for 6 months now.  

Came back today to ask whether a new wireless modem would help and if so, which brand, model #, etc., but it seems even people who have tried that are still getting the intermittent disconnect.

Have tried downloading latest driver for my Acer Aspire v5-571p (Atheros driver v10.0.0.276).  

Have tried turning off power management pre-loaded software (although this happens even when plugged into power source).

Have tried choosing one channel (instead of Auto) on router, and also tried WLAN Auto Config -> Properties -> if Start up mode Automatic Click Stop -> change to manual.

Have tried Windows Network Diagnostics.  It finds problems and fixes them, but the fix is only temporary.

Have tried "connect even if network is not broadcasting its name(SSID)" in Status-->Wireless Properties.

Have tried chatting with tech support; they told me to download the latest driver (step one above) and then we got disconnected by the intermittent wifi limited connectivity!!!???!!!

Have tried reading all related articles on this blog; some claim to have found a fix but, as you can see, none of those fixes work for me.

This is my 4th Acer Aspire laptop (obviously I love Acers).  Some other brands of Windows 8 computers have this problem, but mostly I see Acers in the blogs.  On this site alone, the number of "views" of each entry show that many hundreds of people are having this problem.  I don't want to stop loving Acers; Acer won't you please fix this?

This discussion has been closed.