Dead HDD and no Windows disk to reinstall

Options
jaheira
jaheira Member Posts: 3 New User

My HDD has appeared to die. On boot, I get a hard disk read error just after the BIOS.

Now, I've installed many a hard disk/os before, so it's no issue for me, except, Acer didn't supply me with a disk to reinstall, and I foolishly didn't bother to make the backup disks.

Is there any way Acer can supply me with a disk to reinstall Windows?

I have an Acer Aspire 5750 which is just over 12 months old.

Answers

• msme
    msme Member Posts: 11 New User
    Options
    try to restart the pc by as soon as it turns on do f8 and read the best option if it won't turn on try to start it again , but hold down the start button for a minute or less, if still no startup, take the battery off and just be connected with the power adapter , and try these steps again, then get some good recovery cd's to fix your laptop if it won't start then. you can have a tech do it cheaper for you by just taking in tge hard drive,they will have a michine to put the drive into which most likely can fix it,without having to get another hard drive.
    (note: if you take in the whole machine, they are pretty much trained to tell you ,you need a new hard drive, ) they normally won't use their programs to fix it, casue that may take them more work, but I have worked on more than a 100 pc's and have never had a bad hard drive, just bad stuff on it in programs like virsues causing it to stop.
    good luck !!!
  • jaheira
    Options

I'm sure the HDD has failed. Pressing F8 doesn't give me the usual options menu. I can get into the BIOS, but then leaving gives me a 'Hard Disk Read Error' or some razzle about trying to communicate with the boot device, which has probably failed. and to contact your hardware manufacturer.

What I really need is a disk to reinstall W7. I have a licence (the sticker underneath) just no Windows disk to reinstall on any new HDD I buy.

• freeza
    freeza Member Posts: 1,316 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Good day Jaheira

If your HDD is faulty, there is nothing you can do. Your quickest solution is to get the recovery set from Acer. Rather contact your local Acer Support Team and ask them how you can go about ordering a set of recovery discs. They will give you more and accurate info on the ordering process.

Regards,

Freeza

• jaheira
    Options

Probably the right thing to do Freeza. Thanks for your advice.

I find it a little puzzling though why Acer (amongst others) don't provide you with a Windows disk to do a clean install. You buy a machine with Window installed, and you have bought a license, as proven by the Microsoft Proof of License sticker underneath.

This discussion has been closed.