Aspire 771G 9809 Laptop with UEFI Bios error invalid firmware image

rich4way
rich4way Member Posts: 12 New User

I have an Acer Aspire 771G 9809 Laptop with UEFI Bios V2.13. I tried to flash V2.23 and it failed and came back with "invalid firmware image". Now the laptop will not shut down automatically. I have to manually do a shutdown. I have also tried to update to V2.16 and it failed also. I talked to Acer Level 2 Josh and he said that the second hard drive was causing the error because the bios would not look for the second hard drive. So I removed the second hard drive and all USB plugins and it still failed with the same error message "invalid firmware image".

Has anybody else had this problem and what was the solution? Is the Bios flash correct for the machine?

Question 1 How can get the laptop to shutdown automatically now?
Question 2 Where can I get a good UEFI bios 2.23 for this laptop?

Answers

• Timbo
    Timbo Member Posts: 36 New User

Did you use windows to extract the BIOS ZIP? You shouldn't use anyother software line 7 zip etc in my experience.

The acer site has the image for 2.23.

Worked fine on my v3-771g with two HD's.

• rich4way

Yes I unzipped with winrar, so I downloaded v2.23 again and unzipped with win 8 and tried again to flash. The result was with the same error message. So now I do not know what to do to get the flash to go. Could backing up the UEFI partion on the hard drive have reset some of the files so it will not work? That is what I did with Acronis True Image backup S/W. I do hope someone has a idea how to solve this error message and get the laptop to shutdown automatically. Thanks for the help!

• rich4way

Explain how to flash UEFI bios. In the old days I had to boot to another DOS program in order to flash the bios. Is this the case here? If it is, what OS or utility do I boot to?

Thanks for any help.

• rich4way

How did you flash the bios? Did you boot with another OS and then run the bios flash? If you did, what did you use?

• r0nr0cks
    r0nr0cks Member Posts: 6 New User

I am having the same problem. I am thinking that you had a shutdown issue before you flashed the bios, and that is why the bios can not flash properly. do you need to hold the power button for 10 seconds now to get the system to shut off ??  if so, then you can not update your bios as holding the power button after running the bios.exe will interupt the bios install ....right ??

This discussion has been closed.