Acer Aspire V5 552-X814 Windows 8.1 update

badwilf223
badwilf223 Member Posts: 2 New User
I am trying to update to Windows 8.1, however every time I get to the point where the computer wants to restart, the computer hangs at the splash screen with "Setting Up 15%" then restarts again saying "restoring to your previous version of windows".

I've tried uninstalling antivirus, using clean up tools, disabling windows defender, uninstalling classic shell, yet still no luck. Can anyone help?

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder

Hi badwilf223

Due to significant changes Microsoft made in 8.1, it is not compatible with all types of hardware.

I have heard suggestions to uninstall graphics drivers (EG nvidia, Intel, AMD etc) and then try to install 8.1, which apparently works, but other problems can rear their ugly head afterwards.

Personally, the different features in 8.1 are not much. Windows 8.0 with a start menu program is just as good, I would recommend staying with 8.0 for now....

• badwilf223
    badwilf223 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Brain fart, I forgot to mention the windows error code I recive when logging on after the failed update.
    "Couldn't Update To Windows 8.1"
    Error 0x8007045D - 0x2000C

anks for the reply, but. I find your answer unacceptable. To make sure there are no doubts about this, I will only use information that can be found on Acer's own website and documentation. Firstly, on the page titled "Windows 8.1 Update" my Aspire model is listed as eligible for update with no asterisks. Also Acer's own "Upgrading to Windows 8.1 flow" page, I see it says to uninstall VGA drivers from Intel or Nvidia, neither of which apply to my AMD notebook. It says to update the BIOS, which I've done, and uninstall any third party antivirus software, which I've done. I've installed all windows updates and yet I continue to get thrown back into windows 8. Lets pretend like we care about 8.1 for a second, and figure out why the simplest thing is impossible.
This discussion has been closed.