acer w3

rd481
rd481 Member Posts: 3 New User

I cannot boot from the cd drive on my iconia w3 tablet.

I disabled secure boot, USB CDROM is first in boot up list.  The tablet boots into the hard drive not the cd drive.

Any body have any answers to how to boot with the CD?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer

Is the CD setup for UEFI boot? The boot needs to be UEFI (Windows 8 and later style) to work easily with the newer chipsets. One of the nicer things with UEFI booting is it removes the risk of rootkit viruses.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • rd481

The only setting in bios is  secure boot which  I disabled. Not sure what you mean or how to do it that is when you mention is the   CD setup for UEFI boot

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

What he means is that the CD must be created in a way to support UEFI. Windows 8 and 8.1 ISOs do and if you create a DVD from those ISOs it will be recognised by the boot mechanism.

Part of that recognition is a digital signature and the Acer BIOS only recognises two: Microsoft and Acer. This limits your options a bit.

I have not needed or tried to change to Legacy but thought I saw some people who had with W510s.

• rd481

It wont even boot with acer restore disks.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Disks ? My W3 just came with one DVD marked "Restore Disk".

This discussion has been closed.