FN key not working; Can I turn my WiFi on any other way?

Kozunaki
Kozunaki Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello, I need your help - after reading around the internet for a few hours and finding nothing. Here are some details:

1. Reinstalled my windows 7 a few hours ago. Reinstalled the same drivers I used before.

2. My whole Acer Aspire 5551g keyboard isn't working so I am using a cheap usb substitute that has no FN key. (also as far as I understand the "mapping" of the FN is different for different manifacturers. Let's say I do not want a new keyboard.

3. I can not see my wireless adapter (so as to enable it) in the control panel.

4. There is also nothing in the BIOS involving FN keys.

5. I have no external switches for my WiFi (like I had on my toshiba.)

It boils down to this - all I need is a way to make something else work as my FN+F3 (turn wifi on combination) or enable it using some software or whatnot. I don't know.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

Sounds like your keyboard ribbon has worked itself loose. I doubt the loss of the entire keyboard function has anything to do with re-installing the OS. So I think you need to pop-off the keyboard and re-seat the ribbon. Check the first part of this video for removing the keyboard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0k8LpYb_Io  I'd use a credit card rather than a putty knife to release the keyboard platic tabs. It's a pain to remove, I know, but I think you've gotta do this and try to re-seat this ribbon to the MB.  Let us know how you make out.

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.