Aspire S7-392 (i7 2ghz) wont switch on after overheating!

Options
chedmeister
chedmeister Member Posts: 2 New User

A customer of mine was having some black screen issues with this brand new laptop upgrading to Windows 8.1 and asked me to take a look. I went out of the room to take alook at another machine and on the way out picked up the bag the customer prepaired for me with the laptop inside. The last time I saw it on it still had a black screen.

When I got home I found it had been put in its 'skin tight' carrying case still on and as a result very hot around the back near the vents. I should mention that I noticed the fan was not on. I held down the power button until it swtiched off and left it to cool down. No biggy, right? I've seen laptops regularly get too hot to touch and be fine because they usually switch themselves off before they damage themselves. I assumed that I had caught this S7 in time and it had not quite got to that point yet. 

However, now I cannot get the thing to switch on. If I plug in the power cord the laptop gets warm around the underside near the vents and I get the battery led. If I push the power button I get the blue led but no screen flicker or fan. If I hold the power button then the blue led goes off but thats as much as I can get it to do. I unplugged the power and let the battery drain but no change.

Any diagnosis on this would be extremly welcome. If this laptop has died from overheating the I'd love to know why it didn't switch off before it was too late.

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• chedmeister
    chedmeister Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Just to add, it's been charging for about 20 minutes and it was getting pretty hot in the central area just below the screen. I took the power lead out and it emitted a bios beep. now its making a popping sound twice every one second. The popping sounds like when you plug a speaker plug into the back of your computer and you get the 'pop' coming through the speakers.

The customer actually reported this to me at her home but she described the sound as a click which puzzled me as there should be no moving parts in an ultrabook with a SSD and no DVD drive. Personally I think this thing needs to go back.  

This discussion has been closed.