Acer One D257-1417 Memory Upgrade

krh1326
krh1326 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello,

I am not very computer friendly, and am just trying to upgrade my memory...

I have spent the better part of the day, searching your forum and Acer's site for the answer, and everything looks like alphabet soup, to me.. so I ask this community for help...

I have an Acer Aspire One D257-1417. Intel Atom CPU N570 running windows 7 professional 32 bit OS ?? (upgraded from starter)

I would like to install the most rams that i can. I have found some sources stating I can only go to 2 gigabytes, and I have found other sources that I can use more...???

some info that I have found that seems to agree with each other is:

ddr3 ?

204 pin sodimm ?

pc-10600 ?

Would someone help out a technological dinosaur find the right memory for me?

Thank you,

Kenny

Answers

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Welcome aboard, Kmh. You are correct in understanding that your machine uses only DDR3 RAM (which is the newest and best). Your original operating system was Windows 7 Starter, and it can only support 1 gig of RAM. Your new operating system can support more RAM, but your netbook itself will have problems with it, because its CPU is not designed for more. This is why you are getting different information from different reviewers.

In addition, you only have one RAM slot. To increase your RAM, you have to throw away the chip that is in there now.

My advice? Even if you successfully install more RAM, your CPU and other hardware is not powerful enough to get the full benefit. I would leave it the way it is.

• garyk
    garyk Member Posts: 1 New User

Thank you so very much! You saved me a lot of time and useless activity.
    Thanks also to Kmh for asking the question.

• jpaytoncfd
    jpaytoncfd Member Posts: 1 New User

Upgranding ram is useless? Thats a load of *****. 

Memory stores information that needs to be accessed quickly. If you add more then its less reading and writing from the hard drive and there for faster preformace for things like web browsing, and multitasking. What it will not do is increase processing preformace. So if your photo editing, video editing, transcoading, etc. you wont see much for an upgrade. 

Windows Starter suports 2GB of ram. All other versions of windows support 3.5gb. (put 4 in. your video will use some of the .5 windows cant. The BIOS may be able to handel more but youd have to install a 64bit OS. 

Upgrading is 100% worth the trouble. 

• peacenotgr333d
    peacenotgr333d Member Posts: 1 New User
This discussion has been closed.