Acer Aspire XC600 - want USB 3 ports

Options
nickjwilliams
nickjwilliams Member Posts: 3 New User

I purchased an Acer Aspire XC600 at the end of November 2012 - it's an i5-3330 3Ghz Intel CPU, 8GB RAM and 2TB Hard drive. It is a lovely machine and so far very reliable, so I am pleased with it.

I would however like it to have USB 3 capabilities - is anyone able to tell me what my options are please? How can I do this? Is it a matter of buying an expansion card to fit internally that will then provide support for additional USB ports - if so what shoudl I be looking for and any recommendations on make/model or spec for such a card please?

Thank you in advance for any advice given...

Regards, NickW

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi Nick!

What you'll need for your XC600 is a low profile USB 3.0 card, like this one:

Low Profile USB 3.0 card.jpg

They are very easy to fit - it just inserts into a spare PCI slot on your motherboard. Because you have a micro-tower PC, you'll need to make sure it is a low profile one (as shown by the smaller plate in the picture).

You can buy these from places like Amazon etc or your local PC store will have them too.

As for recommendations, they're all pretty similar, so no matter which one you buy, it should work fine. You will need to install a driver for it, but that will come in the box as standard.

Hope this helps!

• nickjwilliams
    Options

Thanks.

Is that a PCIe card?

The image was not showing.

Regards, NickW

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options
    Yes, it is.

The image will show as soon as it is approved by a Moderator....
  • nickjwilliams
    Options

Thanks again - much appreciated - just ordered one!

Regards, NickW

This discussion has been closed.