XP factory recovery disk sysprep problems

Options
paul1149
paul1149 Member Posts: 11 New User

I've got an Acer ZG5 netbook that needed a factory reset. I have the recovery disks, and plugged them in. All seemed to go well, until after the 2/2 recovery disk finished it asked for the System Disk to be put back in. I did so, and it acted as if I was starting the recovery all over again. So I aborted.

When I tried to boot up, I got the BSOD stop error "07e". I finally was able to get to the destop using "last good configuration" (which I didn't think would work since there was no "last" configuration).

So now the machine is installing all the firmware. Fine, except that I have a Sysprep dialog I don't know how to handle. It's offering Reseal, Audit Boot, or Factory, as well as No SIDGen and Pre-activated options.

I've never seen this dialog before and want to handle it correctly. If the machine doesn't auto-reboot I will update the drivers, so hopefully I can get back in. But I don't want to lose the chance to auto-activate XP. I think I should check Pre-activated and leave No SIDGen UNchecked. I also think I should continue Audit until I'm more sure of success. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Answers

• ScottyC
    ScottyC Member Posts: 433 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

This is the result of improper installation due to you aborting the installation. It wasn't restarting, just moving on to the next step. Frankly I would suggest that you try the disks out again and not interrupt the install mid-way.

"I think I should check Pre-activated and leave No SIDGen UNchecked." This would be the way to go, but you shouldn't have to.

"I also think I should continue Audit until I'm more sure of success. Any thoughts?" The system installation is only partially complete. I would say let the install finish and start from a fully installed and configured OEM OS.

Good luck,
    ScottyC

• paul1149
    Options

My first thought also was that the return to the System disk was a normal part of the process. But after it asked me again about the interface language it dropped me onto the top-level menu, asking whether I wanted to do a complete reinstall, retain my settings or exit, period. That to me is an error. If it was picking up from the previous reset, it should have done so silently, or at least offered an explicit option to do so. I still believe it was starting over again.

Thankfully I was able to get in on Last Good Config. After I posted, the machine ran Sysprep/Factory Mode by itself. I had checked Pre-activate, I suppose that would have been done for me also. When I got back the machine had rebooted and was running more firmware installs. I think I only have to solve some driver issues and I should be ok.

Thanks for replying.

• ScottyC
    Options

In that case I would recommend once everything's finished that you run an SFC to double check that everything installed correctly.

command is sfc /scannow and it has to be run in the command prompt as admin.

Good luck and take care!
    ScottyC

• paul1149
    Options

That's a great idea. I'm having permission problems in MSCONFIG. When I try to disable startup items, it says some services couldn't be changed, I need to be on an admin account - which I am. Yet the changes I make seem to stick. Tried a new admin account. I'm running sfc now and will get back here.

• ScottyC
    Options

That's pretty odd, I'm wondering if it's possible that the recovery disks are corrupted?

Either way, if you're seeing this it may be related to the registry. You can allow your user permissions to modify the MSCONFIG by entering the registry editor, going under HKLM and right clicking on properties and selecting permissions. In the permissions window look for your username and allow full control. If your user isn't listed (really good reason to see that message) just add an entry for it and then give it full control. Hopefully this works out.

• paul1149
    Options

That's another good idea to hold onto.

SFC reported no violations. While it was running, I uninstalled the McAfee albatross. I dare say the problem is now gone. I wonder if McAfee had some kind of "protective" hold over the system. IAC I think I'm ok now.

Thanks much for all your input! Blessings.

This discussion has been closed.