Gigabit ethernet adapter for R7 ? (read: why was Acer stingy enough to ship fast-ethernet adapter)

Options
AcerForumer
AcerForumer Member Posts: 16

Tinkerer

Does anybody know of a gigabit ethernet adapter for the Acer R7?

I'd prefer one with the same plug (Thunderbolt-like ?) that the one shipped with the laptop.

But why on earth did Acer ship a Fast Ethernet adapter. 1° We're in 2013, not in 1990, 2° this is supposed to be a flagship laptop, 3° the difference of price today is so little between fast-ethernet and gigabit.

The Sony Vaio, a serious competitor, has a RJ45 with gigabit on board, not as an external adapter...

Answers

• ScottyC
    ScottyC Member Posts: 433 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

I assume you mean you're unimpressed with the USB Ethernet dongle? Acer's units are built primarily for wireless use, as laptops are meant to be portable and wireless networking is more and more common as time goes on. The usb dongle is provided as more of a courtesy than anything else, they didn't technically have to include one at all. You can technically grab a usb 3.0 ethernet dongle that supports gigabit ethernet but you would need to either find one at a local shop or order one online. And the reason they chose to include the cheap fast ethernet is simple enough. It's cheap to produce, and if it's just to satisfy the needs of the minority group of users who will be using ethernet rather than wireless it stands to reason that they wouldn't add cost to the end users who may not want or need a faster (and more expensive) alternative.

• AcerForumer

Tinkerer

Options
    Well, I can't but disagree: - in many companies (small, big...), wifi is simply not proposed or even forbidden. - once you've tested gigabit for big transfer at 100-110Mo/s (for iso, virtual machines), you simply feel that wifi, even wifi n, is ... well... different (10x slower actually). - yes, I've a usb 3.0 ethernet dongle, but that eats one of the port. Not practical. - the difference of price between gigabit and fast-ethernet is so little than I cannot understand why PC vendors still propose fast-ethernet today, especially in high-end products. If I was to follow your words, why not propose 10Mb/s ethernet...?
  • ScottyC
    ScottyC Member Posts: 433 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Simple, because the difference between 100x fast ethernet and 10x is discernable to the average pc user. The difference between 100x and 1000x is rarely picked up on by those who are simply looking to check their email. Large corporations hire teams of advisors to save fractions of a cent on items sold in large quantities. If I save one tenth of one cent and I sell a million units I still save a thousand dollars. The cost of production for a 100x unit is cheaper than the 1000x units and to large corporations that's what counts. There are units sold without the dongles at all, which you can imagine is a real pain in the @#$. I deal with Acer routinely, I personally have an R7 and I fully agree that it should have been shipped with a 1000x adapter. The thing is that Acer isn't exactly catering to technically inclined individuals, but rather everyone at once. Those who are technically inclined may have higher standards but we're the minority group. Fact of the matter is that out of the millions of units sold there are relatively few complaints (relative to the units sold that is), and that's a success in the eyes of Acer. They may have to deal with a few angry customers, but if 100 people are unimpressed that's not nearly a large enough number to make them take action. So again, I'm on your side with this one. Just providing some justification for the cheapness on Acer's part. Either way, in case I don't hear back from you before, Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays.

Take care,

ScottyC

• AcerForumer

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks for the answer. I believed once you were an Acer representative (because of the "ACE" tag you have near your forum name). I would be curious to have an official answer from them on that matter.

As I need a 2nd gigabit adapter (one at work, one at home), I may try a Thunderbolt one, but I'm a little afraid it won't run (like this one http://www.amazon.fr/Apple-MD463ZM-Adaptateur-Thunderbolt-Ethernet/dp/B008ALA6DW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387480470&sr=8-1&keywords=Thunderbolt+to+Gigabit+Ethernet+Adapter ).

And Merry Christmas to you, and to all who may read this thread !

This discussion has been closed.