Aspire 5733- no BIOS option for virtualization

Options
LeetKynes
LeetKynes Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello there,

I've seen many people online with complaints about this topic, including a message on these forums from not so long ago. However, I've yet to see a satisfactory response from the people at Acer, so I thought I'd continue to bring attention to this issue. Hopefully we can get some answers about this problem.

It seems that in many Acer laptops, including my recently-purchased Aspire 5733-6607, there's no BIOS option to enable or disable Intel VT-x hardware virtualization. This is, of course, a major limitation of the BIOS, assuming the other necessary hardware for VT-x is in place-- in fact, virtualization is one of the primary use-cases of these machines for some people.

As far as I can tell, the two possible hardware limitations are that the CPU and the chipset must both support virtualization. In the case of my laptop, the Intel processor identification utility tells me I have an Intel Core i3 370M CPU, and that it supports virtualization technology.

For the chipset, I looked in the Intel document "Intel 5 Series Chipset and 3400 Series Chipset," no. 322169, since this was the chipset family listed in my system devices. There's a section, starting on p. 280, describing Intel VT-x support, and it seems to be in place. 

So, what I'm really hoping an Acer employee can help me with, is deciding between:

1. maybe my chipset actually *doesn't* support VT-d: the Intel document looked convincing, but I don't know how I'd be absolutely sure. In this case, presumably Acer knows how to find out the answer, since they chose the chipsets?

2. or maybe my hardware is fine, and the BIOS shipped with the computer is simply crippled. This seems to be the consensus of others with this problem who've asked it on various forums. But what's missing is an explicit acknowledgement, from Acer, of *WHY* this would be the case. 

At the moment the only fix I've seen seems to be to take a dump of my BIOS, run it through a script that sets the hidden "Enable VT" variable to 1, and then re-flash it. Obviously I'd rather avoid doing this relatively-dangerous procedure!

This discussion has been closed.