Acer S7-391 major fan problems

Options
Jonadam23
Jonadam23 Member Posts: 2 New User

Before I bought my S7 i knew there were a few complaints about the fan noise but I didnt mind so I bought it anyway. For four months I had no problems with the fan. It would get a little loud if you played games or something but it is an ultrabook so I was fine with that. About two months ago the fan noise became excessive. The amount of noise generated by the fans was so loud that playing a song on max through the computers speakers was not even enough to drown out the noise. It only seemed to happen when playing light games like minecraft so I decided to stop. Then the noise started to occur all the time. The fan is now always audible no matter what is going on. The noise isn't never got as loud as it did that one time but it was still pretty annoying. I put up with it for about a month but then a new fan problem arouse. The fan started to making a horrific grinding noise. The fan on the left side of the computer when you are lookng at the screen (I believe that is the intake fan) constantlly makes a grinding noise. For no reason the grinding noise will occasionally get so loud that I have to shut the computer down. I really love this laptop but the noise has made it unbearable to use. My laptop is out of warranty according to acer so I could not get in direct contact with them. So I was wondering if anyone else has expirence this issue and/or what can be done to fix it. If i have to send it to acer what would the repair costs be? Thanks in advance for the help.

Answers

• dz20
    dz20 Member Posts: 35

Tinkerer

Options

My S7's fan grind when I move my laptop. I just deal with it becuase I hardly move it when using it. I do believe you can buy both fans online and replace them yourself or take them to a shop. Make sure you buy the right one for the side you need. I think the fans are about $25-$60. It would probably be cheaper and faster than sending it to Acer. All it takes is a few screws and a clip or two. If you don't know what your doing just take it to a local repair shop. Can't imagine it being too much.

Let me know if you need help finding them online.

• Jonadam23
    Jonadam23 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks. I think Ill give fixing it myself a shot because the last time a sent a product to get fix it came back to me more broken then it already was :/ Thanks again!

• jkv8
    jkv8 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I had this issue, what fixed my problem was downloading the new BIOS update from the Acer website then installing it. After this you need to reset your BIOS:

1) Turn off your comp

2)Turn it back on, as it iss turning on keep pushing F2 until you are at the BIOS screen

3)Press F9 to reset the BIOS to default

4) Press F10 to save and exit.

that should reduce the fan noise at the very least.

Hope this helps!!!

This discussion has been closed.