I cant get my Acer Aspire V5-5 to connect to broadband. Can anyone help please?

Options
LISBONLIZ
LISBONLIZ Member Posts: 6 New User

Please can someone help me.  I bought my daughter an Acer Aspire V5-5.  It was working perfectly on Xmas Eve and I managed to download Windows 8.  When she opened it on Xmas Day it wouldn't connect to Broadband.  I have Virgin and it is working perfectly but this computer cant find it and thinks I want to use dial up.  Can anyone suggest what I can do.  I've been at this for over 5 hours now and would much rather be having a wee glass of port.

Answers

• freeza
    freeza Member Posts: 1,316 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Good day

Go to internet options, connections and make sure that "Never dial a connection is selected". Also delete any unwanted connections in that dial-up-box, restart the machine and connect to wireless.

Regards,

Freeza

• LISBONLIZ
    Options

Hi Freeza - many thanks for your reply.

I followed your instructions and now get the response - Plug an ethernet cable into this computer .  Can you help me any further please?

• LISBONLIZ
    Options

Ive been looking on You Tube and one of the videos says that the problem is because I am looking for wireless and that my laptop does not support this.  It says I would need to connect by cable.

I have another Acer and dont have a problem with this at all.  Is it Windows 8 that's the problem or my laptop?  Please help me

• LISBONLIZ
    Options

Freeza - are you able to help any further please?  I bought the computer for my daugther's Christmas and she hasn't been able to use it yet

Its an Acer Aspire V5-571 Core i3 Windws 7 Laptop

• jerichorick
    jerichorick Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Hi.  I am new to this forum and to Acer/Windows 8 myself but i have some ideas.  First, before I wast everyones time, are you still having trouble connecting?

• LISBONLIZ
    Options
    Hi yes I'm no further forward I'm afraid
  • jerichorick
    jerichorick Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Good morning.  One question I have for you is about your WiFi.  Is that how you are trying to connect to your broadband?  If I am correct you have a wireless router fed by your broadband modem.

First make certain that your computer WiFi radio is turned on.  At the moment I am using a Windows 7 machine so I don't have the steps to do so in front of me.  Try typing internet access and see if it brings you to the Network and Sharing screen.  Also go to "My Computer", right click on it and select properties.  Or you can simply type Device Manager. In there you should see the tree of what makes up your machine.  Follow down the tree and find Network Adapter and click the + next to it.  You may even find a ! next to this adapter.  This indicates trouble with the drivers or hardware.  If you right click on any item listed you should get a drop-down menu that allows you to search for new drivers.  Sometimes these are found on the machine and correct themselves.  But I wouldn't count on it.  You may have to take a machine that is working and go to the Acer download site and get a copy of the drivers to transfer to this troubled machine with a thumb drive.

I hope this help is of some guidance for you.  I'll check in later to see how you are doing.

Rick

• LISBONLIZ
    Options

Im afraid this doesnt help either.  I called the support line and went through all different instructions with them.  They suggested that I purchase a Recovery package at a cost of £51!!  Why on earth should I do this? The machine is under warranty and although I purchased it in October it wasnt taken out of its packaging and switched on until Christmas Eve.

They then suggested that I reset to factory setting which I told them I had already done, however I went through that again which took another 5 hours but again it made no difference.

Now I believe the only option I have is to return the machine back to Acer and in the meantime its 3rd January and my 14 year old daughter has not had the chance to use her Christmas present!  I am not impressed at all and am very disappointed in the company.

This discussion has been closed.