Acer has an awful support

Options
Walder
Walder Member Posts: 61

Tinkerer

Wow im really surprised with the emails in both english and portuguese that i got regarding w700 models,

The one in portuguese doesnt even make any sense ! Just a bunch of gibberish that i didnt even understand ?!

The one in english that was a simply yes, no, date, response just tells me to phone to a pre-sales department, seriously? And i thought toshibas was bad...

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

They are all equally bad and we are all beta if not alpha testers. Is just part of life on the bleeding edge. Just be glad that Acer has no redacted anything yet. Earlier this year a major intro'ed a new 7" tablet with HDMI that would require a not yet available adapter. A few month later all references to HDMI were removed and replaced with "AllShare", something so limited that I would credit to Apple.

In general I give a vendor a chance to see how they treat customers. Please, do not blame the help desk people, they are all operating from scripts. I have often been able to warn them of things their employers are doing.

Frankly I am delighted with the W510, I consider it a game changer and coming in $100 less than an iPad with the same memory is brilliant.

Almost as much as my new toy, Android on a stick that just plugs into an HDMI connector on the back of a TV. Have already had several guests go nuts trying to figure out where the computer is. Now all we need is a touch screen overlay for flat panel TVs.

But back at Acer, the major problem I have had is getting the thing to boot from different media ( see previous postings on "Safe Boot". Now have my mind around the problem and suspect I know why you cannot turn UEFI off on a W510. It may be contactual but is probably physical.

Am reminded a bit about WORD macro viruses in the late century and Microsoft issuing a macro-based fix that turned out to be a tutorial on how to write a macro virus. Acer has already issued one or more firmware update packages (they actually seem to be a combo of BIOS and Windows drivers). Should be easy for a BIOS programmer (are a few left, is just 8086 code) to create a BIOS in "Legacy" mode that will boot anything. Anyything except the Acer recovery disks which terminate with an error if they do not find UEFI.

So meanwhile give it a day an we'll see what and if Acer has anything to say. Its been today for a while there.

• Walder

Tinkerer

Options

Yeah i see what u r saying they are indeed terrible, im not talking about the supporter guy ( from the UK support response he's probably in India or at least his from there, i know many companies now have indian support people) hes just like u said reading scripts and giving blunt and unhelpful answers, but i mean wth i thought acer was supposed to be a good company, but i can see how some companies get their profits, they sell ok products for a reasonable price, but then they give awful support for any trouble you may have and if possible they just ignore some posts (like this one) because they dont have any argument in their favor, this for me that never bought one item from them is a big NO NO and makes me avoid this brand and their products not just for me, but for people i know and ask me for advice (usually regarding laptops).

Of course they wont care, im just 1 person that has a bad opinion about them and will only share it with a dozen people, but its unfortunate that this is a wide-spread reality since this happened in both portugal and Uk supports.

Oh well, no point in ranting much more cause they dont really care.

• padgett
    Options

Well some of us have a fairly wide audience. Normally I would not spend this much time on a new device but this is different, the first of what I see as a whole new breed (actually have been thinking about such a device since the last century) but here we are seeing a reall collision of technolgies.

Are really two markets these devices are going to define: corporate and automotive. For the average user, it is just a side benefit.

The question is whether Clover Trail (the 2760) is robust enough compared to an I5 just as will Medfield take over Smart Phones (I doubt it) ?

What the 2760 does is to provide long lived and light tablets and there are some trades which people here are seeing. I expect that When the i5 equivalent comes along next year the 2760 will be pushed down to 7" class devices which is going to emerge as dominent (hint: look at the double DIN form factor).

The really interesting point is that the W510 is being marketed by Microsoft since the Surface 8 Pro (I5) has been delayed. Think of the implications.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/en_US/pd/ThemeID.27509700/Acer-Iconia-W5101674-Tablet/productID.258447300

What I am personally interested in is how easy it is to integrate TouchScan, Streets and Trips, and EZCap and run all simultaneously. Is why I really need a car charger cord even if I have to buy another power supply and build one.

The rest is play over the Christmas break.

Key is being able to break through the script desk to the real developers who are kept from contact with the outside world. Only question is what are they living on now that Twinkies were discontinued. Jolt alone is not enough.

• Walder

Tinkerer

Options

100% agree with u but i feel these devices w510 and w700 could have been almost flawless devices with just a little more work and that pisses me off. Is about time some company actual permits real devolopers to read the feedbacks and not jsut a bunch of people closed in a room 50000 miles away just using helpdesk scripts.

• LJH08
    LJH08 Member Posts: 50

Tinkerer

Options

No twinkies = no devs... the world did end in 2012... here's to stone age 2013.

• LJH08
    LJH08 Member Posts: 50

Tinkerer

Options

Know acer wants to be seen as more of a "good" brand now.. and I think their gonna have to step it up a bit to compete... only reason I bought one is because Samsung is outa their mind with their pricing for their i5 model and  apple isn't playing ball atm...

A macbook pro tablet with an i5 for 1k and i'd of probably went there... assuming they work on OS X a bit... maybe in OS XI

but either way.. I like my Acer tablet.. it just sucks that when I have a question the best thing I really can do is ask you guys...or talk to someone in china probably :-/

Apple stores while not perfect are better solutions than having only Bestbuy selling your tech... I can walk in and get help from people who know at least the basics of how to control said OS and hardware.  Which understandably selling 50 different types of laptop is hard to keep up with... but IMO work needs to be done accross the industry on support.

• padgett
    Options

I believe the W510 is doing exactly what Microsoft and Intel designed. If you consider that it is intended to run only Windows 8 then it is accomplishing that. It is us strange people who want it to do more that are stymied because it is not supposed to do more.

The fact is that after the IBM Technical manual that came out with PC-DOS 3.0 around 1986, manufacturers stopped publishing the BIOS code. After that we had to use the Phoenix BIOS book but there was no real change until now.

The UEFI is a game changer. Ostensibly it is for anti-virus but it also is handy if you want to limit what operating systems a machine can run. Now the specification (current is 2.3.1) tells us what the BIOS does but remember, the BIOS is just machine code in firmware. Further settings are just in the CMOS memory. Those who remember things like writing to Clock$ know how simple it is.

Some body is going to write a tool to dump the CMOS and since MSINFO32 can detect the BIOS mode it is likely to be there (or the modern equivalent, I haven't done BIOS programming in a while.

But all we really need to know is what certificates are in the UEFI. I suspect that at the moment there is only one, Microsoft's, though Acer may have one of their own. No big. Do hope they are at least 2048 bit SHA and not MD5 like some weak ones. These are interesting times.

ps just submitted a ticket to ask two things:

1) if the procedures in documents 26604 and 27045 do not work on a W510 and the elements in the BIOS cannot be changed how do we change the BIOS Mode from UEFI to Legacy ?

2) What certificates are in the UEFI store ?

Never received an answer to my earlier question, will see what happens with this one.

• Walder

Tinkerer

Options

Yes padgett but they failed in the most basic subjects, throttle issue, bios, wi-fi they really didnt test them at all i believe, maybe launched to quickly because of w8 release.

And whats worst, many question keep getting unanswered.

• padgett
    Options

I know, evidently we are the Alpha testers. OTOH just a WAG but maybe the W510 is not an Acer design at all. Or maybe Acer provided the manufacturing and the form factor but not the programming. The mother board appears to be from HannStar, memory from Elpida, MMC from SanDisk. There is an Acer warrenty sticker but that is all. Makes you wonder who did the BIOS programming, my Asprire BIOSes do not look like this.

There is usually a signature at the TOM. Did just notice something odd, debug will invoke but the cursor never appears and is unresponsive. Is this something odd about mine or do other W510s act this way ?

Just go to search>apps and enter "debug", it should find "debug.exe" , when selected it executes & a DOS box will open but the cursor never appears. Anyone else have this happen ? I may need to use a different tool but it works just fine on my tower with Windows 8.  Debug.exe looks the same on both.

• twiceK
    twiceK Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options
    I can't connect to the internet with my A100 tablet. My cable company said I needed to contact Acer. Well that is bull_____. I can't believe I would have to pay for support! I can't get any answers! Waste of money on my little tablet for sure.
  • RTM
    RTM Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Tried a chat session with Acer "Support" today regarding the fact that none of the standard W510 input devices (touch screen, touchpad, or keyboard) are supported in the recovery environment Acer Recovery Drive creates on a flash drive.  Didn't expect much, since I'd first posted the question to support and they just marked it "solved" without any response, then when I complained about that, sent me a link to another subject for a different system.  The chat session started with someone clueless who also could barely understand English.  From there I was forwarded to a "Senior Tech" who, noting that I'm scheduled to have the touchpad replaced due to erratic behavior, decide that was the cause of the problem since "he had personally created a recovery flash drive using this utility for the W510" and it had worked fine.  So, we can add liar to clueless.  Think I'm just gonna get a cheap wireless mini-trackball to carry with me and, if necessary use it to reset the system if all else fails, then use the virgin system to restore the latest image I've saved.  Don't know if this will work -- I'll probably give it a try before I ship the unit off for touchpad repair.

@Padgett -- debug.exe works fine on my W510 (after enabling 16 bit apps).

• padgett
    Options

Yes and thank you. After I rebooted it worked just fine. Have noticed odd things before that cleared with a reboot. Of course a date in July 1995 doesn't make much sense & need to do a safe boot to have full access. Guess we should be glad debug is even there, was missing in Win 7.

BTW my test rig is connected to a 7 port powered hub so can mix and match stuff. Only the disk marked "System DVD" is really bootable and a flash drive must be Fat32 so cannot use the Microsoft tool to create. More in another post.

I think the Windows tablets really need their own thread, we lose the Android people quickly.

• Walder

Tinkerer

Options

Unfortunately things dont seem to be better regarding support still havent got a new reply to my complaint, from clueless to ignore.

padgett have u actually tried to reinstall w8 ? either by usb  or dvd ?

This discussion has been closed.