BIOS Upgrade after getting BSOD

Options
DAlaa
DAlaa Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello .

My laptop is Aspire 5750G , with i5 2.3Ghx processor and NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M , 4 GB RAM .

I have a problem when I play games using my NVIDIA GeForce GT540M card , a Blue Screen of Death appears -after maximum of 1 minute of playing, sometimes on the menu screen- saying that the file nvlddmkm.sys is responsible for this problem.

When I monitored the temperature of the GPU just before the BSOD appears , I noticed it exceeded 90 C degrees !
I also noticed that the fan is not running well when I start a game , I think its sound should be higher to cool the GPU , but it does not .

I found that the problem may be related to the BIOS version (mine is 1.07 and the latest available on Acer download page is 1.21) but I am concerned about this message :
"Updating an incorrect BIOS may cause harm to your system. We recomend that you only do this after being instructed by one of our Customer Care representatives. By using these updates you agree to accept the possibility of product failure." on the downloads page . What is the "Incorrect BIOS" ? could a BIOS on the page of Aspire 5750G downloads be incorrect for Aspire 5750G ? and what is the best BIOS to help with my case ?
Also , does the newer BIOS version contain all the updates in all the previous BIOS versions ?

I am using a cooling pad , and I used a Dust Blower few times to clear the vents , but that didn't fix my problem .
I also heard about adding Thermal Paste on the top of my CPU and GPU , but I am not sure how to do it and how effective it will be .

I also like to mention that the BSOD appears usually when using High performance GPU (NVIDIA card) and the computer is plugged in with the battery in it . but with some games , I have no issues when I run them on the battery only (unplugged).
Unlike when I use the Integrated graphics , I never encounter the BSOD , but the performance and quality of games running with NVIDIA card is a way better than using the integrated graphics .

Thanks in advance .

Answers

• mik101
    mik101 Member Posts: 32 New User
    Options

This is almost definitely a GPU cooling issue. That GPU is known to have suffered from overheating issues. 

All BIOS updates will have a similar warning to that. If you download the correct BIOS for your machine, you shouldn't have an issue. Just follow it's installation instructions.

It may not help you, but I'd update anyway as a troubleshooting measure. Yes all newer bios versions contain earlier fixes.

Repasting the GPU/CPU will never hurt when done correctly, but if you've never disassembled a laptop before, you may want to slip someone more experienced a few bucks to do it for you, unless you're a big DIYer. 

• DAlaa
    Options

Thank you .

But how could I know the correct BIOS for my machine from the ones available in the downloads page ?

• DAlaa
    Options

Please I want to know if the latest version of BIOS available on the download page of my Aspire 5750G will work on the machine , or only certain version will work ? and how should I know the right one to use ?

Thanks in advance

• mik101
    mik101 Member Posts: 32 New User
    Options

They will all work as long as you search the correct model number. My quick search for the 5750G finds that the newest available for that machine is version 1.21 from November 13th 2012. You're right though, there have been a lot of updates for that machine, likely indicating they had trouble squashing all of the bugs.

Edit: To answer your previous question, yes newer versions should contain all of the fixes from earlier versions.

This discussion has been closed.