Acer Aspire 5733 memory problem

Options
Dmo
Dmo Member Posts: 4 New User

I upgraded my memory with two matching 4 GB sticks. BIOs recognizes only 4 GB. Each 4 GB is recognized but not together so it's not the memory. Operating system is Windows 7 64 bit.  Any suggestions?

Answers

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

DMO, try this, which sometimes works:

Go to your Start Menu and select Run. Type in msconfig. On the menu, select Boot. On the next menu, select Advanced Options. That menu will have a selection for Maximum RAM Allowed. Make sure that it is not checked.

If that doesn't work, come back and we'll try something else.

• Dmo
    Options

The Maximun Ram was unchecked. I investigated futher by inserting a one Ram only into the upper memory slot and tried to boot. No luck. So either that upper slot is not functioning or the one ram needs to be in the bottom slot to function. Any ideas about that? Also I checked the BIOS POST screen on start up but the info was too minimal, didn't include memory.

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

DMO, it's possible that the RAM slot has failed, but many computers require the first RAM slot to be used before the second one. You mentioned that your BIOS doesn't recognize the second RAM stick. Have you checked System? Go to Control Panel, System, and see how much RAM it says that you have.

• Dmo
    Options

Windows system indicates only 4 GB of memory. Looks like the memory slot was defective from the start. I'll just have to settle for 4 GB of memory.

This discussion has been closed.