Acer W510 updated to Windows 8.1 and Master Installer Update 2.08

Options
disgusted
disgusted Member Posts: 18 New User

Live Update tells me Master Installer version 2.08 is now here to install on my W510, which was updated to 8.1 after almost being bricked on Octobe 17 by the 8.1 Windows update. It took a whole month and a half and a couple of threads on these forums to get the W510 upated to 8.1 and running with the assistance of an update that still isn't listed in Acer iSupport, driver pack 3.02.

I would really like to avoid destroying this computer again if possible. Has Acer tested the Master Installer update 2.08 on a W510 which has been updated to Windows 8.1 with driver pack 3.02?

Thanks for info.

Answers

• disgusted
    Options

P/S/:

Please note that this is the very, very particular 32-bit version with 32GB hard drive and space on a micro SD card, NOT 64 bit Windows 8.1

Thank you.

• crass
    crass Member Posts: 17

Tinkerer

Options

It is most certainly a bug...I have seen this come up and of course I never install it.

First of all it would downgrade the BIOS (I do not know if that is allowed in the BIOS) and install older version of drivers which do not work, like the graphics driver.

• disgusted
    Options

Thanks, crass

Therefore I will not install it. When I tried to install the BIOS and the driver pack 3.01 that come up on the W510 drivers web page since updating to 8.1 with 3.02 driver package, I got messages that these were older drivers than those installed, tôo. So I would hope Acer would clear up the support page for the W510 32 bit editions, or maybe start separate support pages for W510 who have successfully updated to Windows 8.1??? I don't know if that is possible. But as a nontechnical Acer consumer, I am finding Acer support pages severly lacking in description of what updates are and/or do and/or are designed for.

I can assure Acer that as a result of my experience with this product and Acer "support" of this 8.1 Windows update that the company is probably losing customers now and in the future.

• crass

Tinkerer

Options

Just install the latest available package any time.

As far as acer support is concerned, if you look some older messages I wrote I was also very very disappointed. But this time with windows 8.1, acer was the first to offer a driver package that included updated graphics drivers that got rid of major bugs (eg weaking up after sleeping).

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

Part of the issue is that there is no "configuration file" included with an update that gives the components, version numbers of each, and a cryptographic checksum for validation.

I have suggested to Acer that this ming be a Good Idea but Acer is still ruminating.

What Intel driver do you have now ?

• disgusted
    Options

Padgett, looking at device manager, and after installing 3.02 package, it says under

Computer Intel serial IO DMA Controller 6.3.9600 .16384(winblue_rtm.130821-1623) provider MS corporation signed by MS Windows

And

Under Intel UART DMA, NO DRIVERS ARE INSTALLED FOR THIS DEVICE

under display adapters, it says

Intel graphics media accelerator, a whole bunch of items listed, it also says provider, file version, and copyright are unknown, and the digital signer is Microsoft Windows hardware compatibility.

Nothing in device manager has any 's or checks. Hope this is what you wanted. Let me know.

Crass I am confused now. First you say it is bug, and then come back and say I can install master installer 2.08. Hope you see why I am confused and thanks for help.

• crass

Tinkerer

Options

When I said latest I meant the latest globally available. Currently it is 3.02 from the website, you ought to use that one. Some time ago when 2.08 came out, for a week or so it was available only through the acer application, before it was uploaded to the website. We should get the latest version available at any time no matter the source (website or acer application).

Hope this clears it up.

• disgusted
    Options

Thanks crass, except I don't know where to find Acer global applications, versus those listed under the W510 Windows 8 support applications. 3.02 is the currently installed driver that I got from page 21 or 22 of the very long 510 driver thread.

Could you possibly list the URL for this Acer global application web site? Thanks. Again a lack of description by Acer as to what updates do or are for??? Needs to be made clearer I think by Acer. I just assumed one can look under Acer support for drivers and manuals and find all relevant updates for the W510 with 8.1 installed, but apparently not.

• disgusted
    Options

Looking at Drivers and Manuals support for the W510 today, Dec, 13, 2013, 3.01 driver pack is listed and 2.00 BIOS show up for the Windows 8 32 bit W510 in terms of updates. Believe that those two cause need for system restore on W510's updated to 8.1.  Anyway, it is sure not explained by support that I can see.

This discussion has been closed.