Updating video card drivers - Aspire 5740g/Radeon HD 5650

Options
killias2
killias2 Member Posts: 3 New User

So I'm looking to update my video card drivers for my Aspire 5740g with a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650.  I've run into troubles using the normal installer, and I guess that it's up to Acer to update the drivers for this laptop (which hasn't been done since before I bought the dang thing).

Is there any way to update the drivers myself?  I've read somewhere that disabling "switchable graphics" might work?  Anyone know anything about this?

Answers

• rallyman
    rallyman Member Posts: 28 New User
    Options

Which version of windows are you using ?

• killias2
    Options

Windows 7 64 bit.

• rallyman
    Options

Go to this page http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/mobile?os=Windows 7 - 64 i just updated the same graphics on my laptop.

• killias2
    Options

I tried doing this, but, while it downloaded the drivers, it wouldn't let me actually install them.  When I looked into the "why" I found that I should seek drivers from Acer, which are four years out of date.  The internet seems to indicate I might be able to use these if I turn off "switchable graphics".

Do you have the same laptop I do?  Did you have to do something like that?  In any case, I appreciate the feedback.

• rallyman
    Options

I looked in device manager and noticed a yellow triangle against the amd graphics so i went to the amd site and downloaded and installed the catalyst  beta update and it fixed the problem look on this page and scroll down to the bottom you will see it is suitable for the hd 5600 series. i installed this and it fixed the amd driver in device manager.

This discussion has been closed.