W700 "No Bootable Disk"

Options
Sypher
Sypher Member Posts: 3 New User

Hey guys, I've had this tablet for a little over a year. It's been working just fine until earlier today, during some light browsing, it just decides to freeze and crash. I then decided to boot it back on but it flashes a blue message that says "No Bootable Disk", I then boot the tablet up into BIOS ,and it still can't detect the SSD.

It's clearly past warranty time, so I'm a little flustered with my options Smiley Sad

Anyone face this problem ,and manage to fix it ? Is my SSD still salvagable ? 

P.S I had not just install any new software/drivers, it was literally just light browsing on Chrome before the crash . It was securely in its dock, and was not shaken or anything.

Answers

• exscentric
    exscentric Member Posts: 78 Troubleshooter
    Options

Sounds like the drive might be gone.  Could be a loose cable but either way it is a dive inside you'll need.  There is a youtube of getting into the unit if you think you might be able to do it.  Did you make a restore dvd?  If so you could stick in a new drive if you get inside.

I'd wait a bit and be sure someone doesn't have a better idea here on the forum. 

• Sypher
    Options

I'll keep that in mind brother, I was wondering what exactly could've caused the SSD to just stop working out of nowhere, I wasn't moving it around or anything at the time and I haven't done so for weeks, it's just been lodged in the dock. No restore dvd Smiley Sad . Currently the packaging isn't with  me, so I'm not even sure if I have the restore discs. I was hoping to open it up, and just check the wiring, maybe it's still working but something went loose somewhere. 

Anyways , thanks for the heads up, hopefully some other guys faced the same thing.

• jason2234
    jason2234 Member Posts: 85 Troubleshooter
    Options

I wouldn't have come loose as its screwed down and everything inside is well secured especially the hard drive.

Best thing to do is boot using recovery disks or a windows 8 disk and see if the HDD shows up as a device. Does the HDD show in BIOS? could be a BIOS thing.

Otherwise if its out of warranty the only thing you can do is to open it up and have a look. Smata's can just stop working if there is a fault but replacing is easy but not cheap. Could be a good reason to upgrade to a 256GB Msata Smiley Happy

• Sypher
    Options

Stated earlier on that it doesn't show in BIOS. I'll attempt the recovery disks (Here's hoping they're in the box). Thanks for the help, I am contemplating on upgrading the SSD, but it is pricy as hell. Wonder what the hell could have made the SSD just stop completely . I mean, if I didn't take care of the tablet  I wouldn't be surprised but I usually do take care of my things quite well. Oh well, what's done is done.

• deeperblue
    deeperblue Member Posts: 22 New User
    Options

Upgrading to a 256GB msata drive is a decent upgrade to the tablet so it could justify the expense somewhat. I have had my tablet for 6 months now and it's still working very nicely. I would be surprised if the drive is the issue, flash drives are very reliable. Before spending lots of money on another drive you could try and install the recovery disks on an external attached drive. I'm not sure if that is possible as I have never done this but if you were able to do it you may be able to repair the flash drive or at least determine the issue on why it's not working. You will need a usb dvd drive for the recovery media.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

I find that a package like the Apricorn EZ-Upgrade kit, plus an mSATA to 2.5" SATA adapter makes a great combo for upgrading drives on tablets. I used mine on my EXOPC and will use it again when I upgrade this W700 someday.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
This discussion has been closed.