Acer Aspire 5733 - Linux - BIOS update

Options
NikTh
NikTh Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello,

I bought a Laptop Acer Aspire 5733 with Linux pre-installed. Recently I discovered that a new BIOS version is available (v.1.10) and I have v.1.07.

Now, can you please tell me how to update my BIOS when the available version is for Windows only ?

Best Regards

NikTh

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,561 Trailblazer
    Options

Is there a problem with your existing bios? Or do you know the latest version will offer you an advantage?

Jack E/NJ

[corrected formatting]

Jack E/NJ

• NikTh
    Options

Multiple problems that I had workaround (i.e. backlight does not work) .

Either way, when a new BIOS version exist, I expcect that I am capable to update for whatever reason.

In case of a question like

"Why you want to update your BIOS ? "

I can answer with a similar one.

"Why you released a newer version ? "

Best Regards

• JackE
    Options

I don't work for Acer but sometimes newer versions will also list the problems it is supposed to fix in addition to a tutorial on how to install.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• NikTh
    Options

I know JackE and thanks for your support answer. But I consider this whole situation something like.. unthinkable ? What can I say ?

I mean, when a company releases some models with Linux pre-installed it would be better to release also some software-tools compatible with the OS.

Sorry If I presented an attitude, this wasn't my intention but I felt like I was forced to install Windows in order to update my BIOS version.

Best Regards

• JackE
    Options

Hi again Nik:

I also don't understand why Win7 would be needed. Did you in fact try to untar BIOS_Acer_1.10_A_A.zip and see what's inside?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• NikTh
    Options

Yes JackE.

I uncompressed the archive and I saw two methods inside. First was for Windows, second for pure DOS system.

Both methods required from me to install a new OS. Either DOS or Windows. I'd found a third party application (flashrom) but except that it wasn't work I didn't want to use third party applications. I wanted an Official application from my Laptop's manufacturer.

Anyway, I installed Windows and I updated the BIOS successfully, but this is sad. I installed Windows for 5 minutes (that was the time BIOS update has lasted).

Best Regards

• JackE
    Options

>>>I installed Windows and I updated the BIOS successfully, but this is sad. I installed Windows for 5 minutes (that was the time BIOS update has lasted).>>>

Sad, indeed, Nik. Hope the new bios resolves some of the other issues. Good luck.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.