No access to BIOS | Aspire V5-571G

Options
2»

Answers

• vaizaren
    vaizaren Member Posts: 44 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options

there is a 2nd option, you can opt to fix yours by going to windows repair, (i forgot the button, try going for f3 to f12)

as i know, f12 shows you the boot menu, if you enabled it in the past..

also, try ctrl+alt+esc... that is for the bios setup of older acer laptops

and f2 of course, if not responding, but sends a beep..

go to windows repair, then advance options then go change uefi or firmware settings, if not present, then go to the another option which is in the url.. 

• Lodifice
    Lodifice Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options

Is this meant to help ME? I have no Windows installed, never used Windows 8 and none of these key combinations work.

The setup application of Debian automatically installed GRUB Bootloader, and one of these installations definitely changed my boot order - everyone says OS won't alter BIOS, but id DID happen.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,573 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>everyone says OS won't alter BIOS>>>

Not everyone Lodifice. 8^)

The OS or its installation program can indeed change the SETTINGS FOR THE OPTIONS listed in the bios. But NOT THE BIOS itself.

I still think that the Debian installation has somehow blocked the usual keystroke methods for accessing,  NOT CHANGING, your existing bios. Accordingly, have you tried posting this problem to any of the Debian or Linux communities yet?

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,573 Trailblazer
    Options

One more thing to support your feeling about the Debian installation, Lodifice.

The fact that Windows 8 has certain keystroke combos to access the bios (other the usual F2 at the ACER logo screen) is proof enough that the OS or its installation program can indeed change the way the existing bios is ACCESSED!

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mikaelamikey
    mikaelamikey Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    On the Acer Aspire V5 series, if you open the bottom cover and remove the RAM you should find a couple of pads on the board labelled G2201. Remove the battery and power cord from your machine. Use a piece of wire to short those two pads. While holding the wire, plug the machine back in, then hit the power button. This should clear the password. I had to do this a number of times, but what finally worked was to hold the power button down while the machine came on, then shut off. I cycled this a few times then eventually the password was removed and I was able to get into the BIOS setting screens. Good luck!