Cannot Restore to Factory Setting - Windows XP

Options
Rolly1
Rolly1 Member Posts: 1 New User

A couple of years ago I gave my brother my ACER Aspire notebook and now it is broken.  It will not operate unless in Safe Mode.

The notebook runs on Windows XP Home Edition and does not have a CD drive. 

The information I have on System Information is as follows:

OS Name: XP Home Edition

Version:  5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

System Model:  AOA150 (The O's could be Zero)

The problem began approximately 10 days ago when my other brother decided he would try downloading movies from an unknown site ... he does not seem to remember which site he was on.  Since then, the computer will not boot up normally ... it will only boot up in Safe Mode.

When you try to boot up, a blue screen appears for about 1 second and seems to indicate what the problem might be.  It blips so fast that its impossible to read.  Then the screen goes to a black and white screen with options to start windows automatically or in the various Safe Modes. 

While in Safe Mode, I have attempted to restore the computer to Factory Settings.   Start ... Accessories ... System Tools ... but the option to restore to Factory Settings does not appear. 

So I attempted to Format the C Drive in the Command Prompt setting.  However, I cannot remember exactly how to type out the command ... I am by no means a computer whiz but I have done this on other computers in the past and have been successful.  On my own computer I can press F11 during start up to Format the computer to factory settings.

It seems a shame that my brother would have to spend $50 to $100 to complete a simple procedure ... if indeed it's as easy as this.  If it is more complicated then he will have to dish out the cash ... and then get it from my other brother.

So my question is ... how might I restore the computer to factory settings while in Safe Mode ... OR, how might I format the C Drive?  BTW ... I just tried something I read while writing this message stating I could press ALT + F10 during boot up and after 5 tries, this did not work either.

Cheers

Answers

This discussion has been closed.