No SSD on R7-572??!!

chorn
chorn Member Posts: 2 New User

I have been holding off making a notebook purchase because I was positive that I would buy the Haswell refresh of the R7-571 . . . it was the perfect machine with its great form factor and SSD cache drive - it just needed better battery life, more storage and I was ready to go!  Aaaaand . . . fail.  No SSD cache.  Not even an option.  WTF?!  Seriously?  The people who want this machine are geeks . . . . and we geeks want the speed boost and large storage capacity of a hybrid SSD HD without the cost and limited capacity of an all SSD drive (which also isn't an option!).  Please, someone tell me this is just the stripped down Best Buy version and that the real one will be available somewhere else.  Otherwise, I'm just buying the Sony Flip.  You need to do this in time for Xmas.

Answers

• mazen
    mazen Member Posts: 57 New User

the haswell r7 572 series have the option to install an SSd, you still can install it and update components.

• chorn
    chorn Member Posts: 2 New User

I understand I can "install" one.  I can "install" one in virtually anything.  I wanted the small SSD cache that came in the R7-571 to be carried forward into the 572.  I don't want to have to go to the bother and additional expense of doing it myself.  Instead, I will have to settle for a different machine.  Now this machine just has a cool Ezel hinge. . . which is nice but not enough to justify the expense.  If they had included the SSD cache, instead or relying solely on the spinner drive, they would have gotten better battery life and faster performance out of the machine.  Now its just a typical laptop with a funky hinge.

• AcerForumer
    AcerForumer Member Posts: 16

Tinkerer

Hi,

You may have a look to my other thread: the R7-572 still has a mSata slot, which means you can install a mSata SSD on it. You are not stuck to a little 24 Go cache, but can use a ssd of any size, provided it is a mSata-factor one. I purchased a 480Go Crucial M500 mSata, and it runs extraordinay well.

Reference: http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks-Netbooks/Acer-R7-572-SSD-or-mSata/m-p/159505/highlight/true#M30921

• mitchellvii
    mitchellvii Member Posts: 7 New User

Yes, the ONLY thing that made the R7 a special machine was the SSD cache?  Geesh.  If the multiple benefits of this incredible device aren't more obvious to you than that I agree you should buy something else.  And good luck finding anything even close to all this + an SSD for the same price.

This discussion has been closed.