Hello

Options
ronson
ronson Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello,

i'm new to this forum and i am here because i have a big problem with my Acer x1700 desktop

when i try to start it up it freezes directly i can't get in to Boot mode.

there is ticking sound coming from the tower.

it runs windows vista and xp.

i don't know what to do can anybody give me any help please?

kind regards

Ronson

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi roson

Clicking or ticking noises from inside your PC usually point to a hard disk failure, however it may be a power supply problem.

Firstly, open up your tower and remove the power cable to the hard drive. Restart your PC. If the PC no longer makes the ticking sound then that is your answer - the hard drive will need replacing.

If the ticking sound is still there, then it is not the hard drive - it will be the power supply. Because the power supply inside the X1700 is a compact one, a standard one will not fit, so take your PC to your local PC store to see if they can obtain one for you, or contact Acer support for your region.

• ronson
    ronson Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

hey

thank you for your reply,ive disconnected the power supply to the hd and the thicking is gone.

if i want to replace the hd how do i install it?

just plug it in en then what?

please help me

thank you

Ronson

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi ronson

Basically, you'll need a replacement hard drive, and your recovery disks. If you didn't make the recovery disks when you first had the PC, then see if they're still available to buy for the X1700. See Acer support for your region.

There is a simple guide here on how to replace a hard drive. Once done, insert your first recovery disk and restart your computer. As soon as you see the Acer logo, press F12 to enter the boot menu then select your optical drive. Follow all on screen instructions.

When Windows has finally finished installing, load all your programs, including Anti-virus/malware and then your Windows updates.

If you have any other queries, post back!

This discussion has been closed.