w510 after 8.1 problem with overheating and mushy sound

Options
disgusted
disgusted Member Posts: 18 New User

Okay, so I worked my way through the 21 pages on the graphics driver. 1130 didn't work and still have 1176 installed.

Haven't installed any Acer driver packages or bios updates because last time I did that on about the 21st, got the blinking Windows taskbar in lower left corner and black screen, resulting in yet another system wipe and complete restore to get the Windows Store 8.1 download to work'

Now after about twenty minutes of playing Windows Store games and noticing overheating in the middle of the right side, my sound goes bonkers and mushy every time and have to hit restart, which begins the process all over again. Happens every darned time.

Any ideas? Even moving the dongle for a mouse, the sound is corrupted. Also had trouble with HuluPlus 8.1 app and YouTube video not playing and sound not being understandable.

After three or four complete system wipes and restores, I am wondering if the 32bit Clovertail is even capable of running Windows 8.1 . MS, Intel, and Acer admits to problems with it. Is anyone going to fix it? $650 for an 11 month hybrid was an awful lot to pay. Windows has indicated I think that everyoe must be on 8.1 in a year. If this problem

isn't addressed, I believe the W510 might just disintegrate from overheating constantly. Don't know, but seems like a 

distinct possibility here.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

Yes, it sounds like you do not have the Intel thermal management drivers loaded to prevent overheating. That should be part of any of the Acer updates for 8.1.

• disgusted
    Options

Thank you Padgett for reply. I have whatever drivers came with Windows Store 8.1 download I believe.

Haven't added anything except a few apps like Hearts and Wordament. And as I said before, have not updated

with the Acer package, not bios or drivers.

Would like to remove a lot of bloatware, but haven't done that since 8,1 "update."

• disgusted
    Options

Looking for any answers or suggestions that currently exist. Would be appreciated.

Install Acer Support's last update package??????

Try wipe and restore and download again???

Go back to Windows 8 and hope to heck Acer comes up with a solution before Microsoft abandons support

for Windows 8?

Put this on Craig's List and try to find a sucker? (which I don't want to do)

• whiskey
    whiskey Member Posts: 32

Tinkerer

Options

disgusted wrote:

Thank you Padgett for reply. I have whatever drivers came with Windows Store 8.1 download I believe.

Haven't added anything except a few apps like Hearts and Wordament. And as I said before, have not updated

with the Acer package, not bios or drivers.

Would like to remove a lot of bloatware, but haven't done that since 8,1 "update."

padgett already answered your question with a solution.

As provided by the OEMs, and not necessarily the responsiblity of MS updates, you are likely missing the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework drivers that are integral drivers for the Clovertrail platform.  These systems do not have fans and require such drivers to prevent overheating damage.

Further, choosing to neglect some of the latest BIOS updates is also your choice, but some of the latest have resolved specific issues with Window 8.1, including system throttling nd thermal management.

Acer provides all of this for you.  Install the latest Acer driver package and then you may wish to rerun Windows Update if the graphics driver is downgraded from the latest and functional *.1176 Intel graphics driver.

• disgusted
    Options

Thanks, whiskey, for the translation of Padgett's response. Installed 3.02 following crass's directions on page 22 (thank you crass). If Padgett got the thermal controllers into that packet, thank you Padgett. It may have worked. Tablet operating better. Will report back any glitches.

Please don't forget your forum users do not all have computer tech certifications and make directions as clear as possible.

Still wondering why it took from October 17 to November 25 to get this worked out. Caused lots of consumers to question operating systems and hardware manufacturers. Windows 8 is rapidly gaining worse rep than Vista. Please feel free to share your thoughts.

• disgusted
    Options

Just an afterthought. I wish Acer would consider posting some explanation of their updates on the support site along the lines of HP and even Microsoft updates. It would help.

• disgusted
    Options

repeat of post in another thread:

So, things seem to be working, at least for the last 18 hours.

Questions:

Does one want to leave System settings advanced - hardware set to let me choose what to do and get update

packages from manufacturer from now on?

Will one ever want to download any future display adapter driver updates from Windows or Intel for Windows 8.1?

Will this system now be able to use sfc.exe or DISM /online command ever agaiin for Windows 8.1 repair?

Can I now update the BIOS package, since the last time I tried it about a week ago caused a system wipe and

restore, but that was before 3.02 package was installed?

Thanks.

• whiskey
    whiskey Member Posts: 32

Tinkerer

Options

You're welcome, I'm glad things are workng out for ya.

Unfortunately the Windows 8.1 update fiasco with our Clovertrail systems was totally at the hands and fault of Intel.  Weeks later, via MS pushed updates, they did come through with a resolution, but this has kept a rather bad taste against Intel and its long record of poor and tardy graphics driver support on nearly all of its platforms.

• disgusted
    Options

Not sure that nontechnical consumers make the distinction between hardware and software, whiskey, but thanks

for the thoughts. typical consumer with bills to pay and tasks to accomplish I think just blames anyone involved with

"bleeping" computer they have.

It would be very nice to understand which settings are important to leave to protect this working driver from

updating and how to treat Windows 81 repairs in the future with regard to sfc.exe repairs and/or DISM image repairs

online if those answers are known at this time.

Also, how likely am I to survive with a working computer if I now update with the Acer 2.00 BIOS if that answer is known

at this time?

Thanks to all who helped get my computer functioning again for the first time in over a month. 

• disgusted
    Options

Well at this point, unit is working w 3.02 drivers package installed. Tried installing 2.00_A BIOS update, but got message that same or newer drivers were already installed. So I cancelled install, not having received any other advice. Unit is starting to overheat again on games and streaming video. So I don‘t necessarily think the problem is solved.

This discussion has been closed.