RAM Expansion Acer aspire AX1800-E1232

Options
FadderBeef
FadderBeef Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello, 

I have a Acer aspire AX1800-E1232 and wanted to upgrade the current 4gb of ram to 8 gb. I have purchased 2x 4GB Ballistix DDR3 - 1600 and tried installing but they won't fit. The slots on the ram don't line up with the slots on the motherboard. 

Is there anyway to fix this? 

I always thought ram was fairly universal, why do the 2x 4GB Ballistix DDR3 - 1600, NOT fit in my Acer aspire AX1800-E1232 stock motherboard? 

Best Answer

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi FadderBeef!

No, RAM isn't universal (as you have found!). There are 2 main type in existence (for modern machines) and that is DDR2, which is now getting a bit old & DDR3. Then there are different speeds too!

Best thing to do is to install Crucial's Sytem Scanner . This will scan your system and advise & recommend the correct RAM for your PC.

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi FadderBeef!

No, RAM isn't universal (as you have found!). There are 2 main type in existence (for modern machines) and that is DDR2, which is now getting a bit old & DDR3. Then there are different speeds too!

Best thing to do is to install Crucial's Sytem Scanner . This will scan your system and advise & recommend the correct RAM for your PC.

• FadderBeef
    FadderBeef Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Big thanks for your reply, 

Do both DDR2 and DDR3 have different slot arragements in a motherboard? I'm asking because now i will have to return my previuosly purchased ram, and dont want to make that same mistake.

Again, thanks for your reply. 

• Alan-London
    Options

Yes they do. They are deliberately designed this way to prevent incorrect RAM from being fitted.

Note the lower slot in the picture:

DDR2-vs-DDR3.jpg

This discussion has been closed.