acer aspire 5750g shift keys not working

trixyimi
trixyimi Member Posts: 2 New User

i've had this laptop for almost 2 years now and after turning my laptop on one day i noticed that typing in my password at the login screen was not working, so i resorted to using the on-screen version. i then found that both my shift keys were not working properly, they seem to work sporadically and then all of a sudden not at all 'hence the lack of capital letters'.

Does anyone have any suggestions since it's really bothering me and it's been 2 days like this now. I've disabled sticky keys already and as you can see the shift key seems to work when it wants to...i've also tried every other key on the board and all those work perfectly fine, it's just the two shift keys.

Best Answer

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

Trixy, there is more than one possible explanation.

You might have a dead insect or a piece of dust stuck in there. Carefully blow it out with some compressed air.

Run a deep scan with your antivirus. It probably won't solve your problem, but it's a good idea anyway.

Go into Control Panel, Device Manger, and Keyboard. Check it to make sure that everything is all right.

Answers

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

Trixy, there is more than one possible explanation.

You might have a dead insect or a piece of dust stuck in there. Carefully blow it out with some compressed air.

Run a deep scan with your antivirus. It probably won't solve your problem, but it's a good idea anyway.

Go into Control Panel, Device Manger, and Keyboard. Check it to make sure that everything is all right.

• trixyimi
    trixyimi Member Posts: 2 New User

Well, after doing the virus scan it picked up a malware cookie and removed it, then I did a restart and the shift keys are working now! It was a simple fix after all, thank you for your help. Smiley Very Happy

This discussion has been closed.