The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information, and links on this page to other sites may not work. This page has been archived for future reference.Visit our Product Forums for more current content.
Acer C720 , the device hostile, enemy of the users.
Acer C720 , the device closed, locked and welded.
Now full of annoyance for my confidence in the project chromebook, for he had hoped that the ACER C720 chromebook could give all users a notebook with a good hardware on which to experiment and try the Chrome OS, freely and without constraint or limitation. An opportunity to experience the work environment GOOGLE. But the reality is very different from the expectations and hopes.
ACER C720 immediately begins badly, with visible signs and other hidden below that wish list:
- The 11.6-inch screen, is the worst and cheapest display that could be installed on a notebook. It is not an IPS screen ( as everyone expected and how competitors offer), but a rough and old TN panel , from the subdued colors and the brightness is not good .
- The battery can not be removed and replaced, but it is fixed, welded and sealed into the computer chassis. A clear desire to make the component is not replaceable by users (open the notebook will void your warranty).
- Very poor battery! It seem 3950 mAh, like a 7" tablet!
- The notebook does not have doors and entrances to the ram memory and mass storage, through which any act, desirable upgrade. RAM and mass storage are well hidden and inaccessible. To access it you have to open the notebook, and this invalidates the warranty.
- The notebook is not charging through USB ports, appreciated option of ultra-mobile devices, but only through its power supply from the mains.
- The memory ram, used for Haswell architecture (Intel Processor, only strong point of the notebook) that is potentially cabinet is well 16GB ! ACER C720 notebook sell dividing this value cuts imposed. For example, sell a notebook with 2GB of ram and through blocks and internal welds, the user will NOT an upgrade. In this way, the C720 will be born and will die with 2GB of ram ! This situation, really unpleasant, that is about all the cuts designed (4GB , 8GB ). The end user does not have and never will have, any chance of making ram memory upgrades .
- The socket that engages the mass memory is hard to find in the free market, and it costs a lot. If a user wants to try to replace the mass storage offered by ACER C720 (16GB or 32GB ), may not be able to install a new SSD and if you were to break this socket, would seriously spooky mischief.
- In the year of the Lord 2013, almost 2014 a brand new device leaves the factory without a channel SATA III but, perhaps, even with the SATA II. Any avid user of electronics and information technology , is aware of the fact that SATA III is close to saturation (other SSDs are fast and how much more than the maximum bandwidth offered by SATA III).
- The bios of the notebook is hostile as the rest of the device. You have to work hard to sustain the operating system chrome, another one you like. In the C720 with ridiculous amounts to 16GB mass memory, it is virtually impossible to install a modern Windows OS. With difficulty and with little comfort you can install Linux on some of its distribution. You can not use all the (little ) mass storage offered to us, erasing the operating system chrome... the bios does not allow it .
- The offer price in the U.S. is more advantageous than the one made to European customers . In the USA, the model with 16GB mass memory and ram to 4GB, costs 250 dollars ( 182 euro )... in Europe this model is not there! In Europe, there comes a different model, with features and a little laughable want: 32GB mass memory ( always difficult or impossible to install modern Windows systems ) and only 2GB of RAM ( now almost all smartphones have 2GB of ram !), A little useful touch screen is proposed ( if I use the touch , then I think a tablet... not a notebook) . The final price is not modeled on the American one, but it is higher. The European customers are regarded as fools who must have less, paying more !
ACER C720 is a hostile machine, designed for an audience of users subservient, passive and subject to the will of GOOGLE . The device do not argue, do not touch, do not open, you do not program, does not improve, do not fix it ... those who buy C720 are a beta tester slaves ( and paying ) GOOGLE . A device closed and sealed, locked and self-referential.
For me, a huge disappointment.
I hope I did not forget anything in this long close examination , but if I had forgotten something , I invite everyone to add notes and comments .