Acer Iconia W3-810 not booting from USB DVD

Options
MorganPeter
MorganPeter Member Posts: 3 New User

My Aconia Iconia W3 will not boot from an USB DVD. Secure Boot is unset, USB DVD is a t the top of the boot list, and the DVD drive is connected via a Belkin extenally powered USB hub. The DVD spins up at the start of the boot process, but the table then goes through a normal boot. Suggestions?

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

Did you erase the certificate library under Security in the BIOS ? Secure Boot must be ON to erase the library and then you can turn secure boot off. The you should be able to boot anything bootable.

I leave everything (UEFI) on and have no problem booting from either DVD or a USB BluRay drive as long as the boot drive is configured properly and signed by Microsoft.

AFAIK Win 8 & 8.1 are the only OSs that have the thremal management drivers for a ventless design. With anything else you have to be very careful to avoid overheating. Good aairflow over the case is a must.

• MorganPeter
    Options

I have looked in the Security section & could not find anything identified as a certificate library.  I tried "Erase all Secure Boot Setting" and disabled "FTPM Support", but to no avail. the DVD is being read, but then the boot reverts to the internal disk.

• padgett
    Options

Once you "Erase all Secure Boot Settings" you need to go to "Boot" and disable Secure Boot. FITM does not apply.

The key here is you need to be able to run MSINFO32 from desktop and have the BIOS MODE  read "Legacy" rather than "UEFI".

Just be aware that anything other than Windows 8 is liable to need agressive cooling.

• MorganPeter
    Options

I have  "Erased all Secure Boot Settings" and disabled Secure Boot., but still have the BIOS mode set to UEFI in System Information. What next?

• doubler
    doubler Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

hello how did you solve this?

thanks

• dmaglio
    dmaglio Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

anyone solved?

thanks

• padgett
    Options

Did you set the boot order to DVD first ?

• dmaglio
    Options

i have enabled secure boot, erased security certificate, disabled secure boot may times but when i try to read boot manager in msinfo32.exe i read always UEFI.... 

• yuroktold1
    yuroktold1 Member Posts: 56

Tinkerer

Options

what's on dvd? acer recovery? there is no legacy option on this device.

• dmaglio
    Options

i want to try ubuntu or another gnu/linux but i can't boot... i tried to connect external dvd with powered usb but nothing....

• yuroktold1
    yuroktold1 Member Posts: 56

Tinkerer

Options

i have heard that only a few linux os will clear uefi certificates. my guess is that if you make a usb right and place the right version of os install iso on it, it should see it. i never tried it though.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

Be aware that very few, if any, of the Linux distributions are supporting the driver for temperature control. These fanless systems can burn themselves out without that functionality.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • aknarts
    aknarts Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

I would say that the reason the USB cannot boot is basicaly the same as for my Iconia 8 W, the UEFI is IA32(32bit) and most linux distributions only support 64bit. There is a nasty hack I developed that allows me to boot 32bit version of Arch Linux installer on the hardware, but I wonder if it is worth the troubleSmiley Happy.

• padgett
    Options

Well the switch 12 supports Legacy mode but then it won't boot from its own SSD. I suspect it requires the power management to enable the "turbo boost" so will always be throttled back to 800 MHz if not present.

Switch 12 seems completely different from the rest of the Switch lineup.

• oomaralhaddad
    oomaralhaddad Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    1.  power down the system completely
    2. Connect an external USB DVD drive using the micro USB to female USB adapter.
    3.  Enter the bios by pressing F2 
    4. Tap on Security and set a Supervisor password.
    5. Select the Boot page and then Disable Secure Boot.
    6. Under Boot priority order, use the arrow buttons to set the USB CDROM to the top of the boot priority order.
    7. Select Exit to the left and select Exit Saving Changes on the right side.
    8. Insert the DVD labeled System DVD  It must be windows 8  or  8.1   32 bit fresh copy or original copy only.  not a craked copy....
    9. Select English and then select Continue.
    10. When prompted, select Restore Operating System to Factory Defaults.
    11. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the recovery process.