Netbook Memory

Options
Jerryv
Jerryv Member Posts: 3 New User

The motherboard in an Acer Aspire One d255 netbook went bad.  I got a replacement and changed it, but the new one has a DDR3 memory slot instead of the old one's DDR2.  Otherwise they look identical.  The number on the new one is PAV70 L21.  Does anyone know what memory modules are compatible with this motherboard?  The memory advisor I looked at has four d255's shown.  DDR3 specs are a bit confusing with PC3-10600, PC3-10666, PC3-8500 all called DDR3 1333. 

TIA

Answers

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Welcome aboard, Jerry. It's possible that someone has the wrong numbers here.

Your new motherboard is fairly specific and is designed for your netbook. Everything I can find says that it uses DDR2 RAM. Because they have a different number of pins, the two are incompatible.

You said that you have already installed it. Have you installed RAM with it?

• Jerryv
    Options

I have not installed memory since the slots are slightly different.  (The notch is in a different spot) I didn't realize the difference until I had the MB installed and was transferring the module since the rest of it looked the same.  From searching around on the web, it seems there may be a slightly different atom processor as well.  N450 or 455 vs N550 or 555?  I can't tell for sure since the old MB wouldn't power up and the new one won't start without memory.  I see there is a d255e as well.  Quite confusing.

Thanks

Jerry

• Jerryv
    Options

Just to close out this thread.  A DDR3 SODimm worked well.  Specifically the G.Skill F3-10666CL9S-2GBSQ
     as recommended by G.Skill.

Jerry

This discussion has been closed.