W700 battery/performance issue after Win 8.1 install

Options
Snakiest
Snakiest Member Posts: 7 New User

Just what the title says. It lags too much on battery. Disabling low power mode solves the issue, as people have already mentioned that, but then the battery drain becomes outrageous. My computer dies in one or two hours when in the past I could go one day of my regular usage with it. I did install the new drivers from the main site and am certain they do not help. Oh yes, as some have already mentioned, the VGA driver doesn't work for some reason, but I am sure the problem is in the CPU usage on battery. Acer, I, and I am sure many others, seriously need a solution here. Please help.

Answers

• hmptec
    hmptec Member Posts: 15 New User
    Options

Snakiest wrote:

Just what the title says. It lags too much on battery. Disabling low power mode solves the issue, as people have already mentioned that, but then the battery drain becomes outrageous. My computer dies in one or two hours when in the past I could go one day of my regular usage with it. I did install the new drivers from the main site and am certain they do not help. Oh yes, as some have already mentioned, the VGA driver doesn't work for some reason, but I am sure the problem is in the CPU usage on battery. Acer, I, and I am sure many others, seriously need a solution here. Please help.

Same here. New vga drivers posted on the Acer site yesterday and, guess what? They don't work!!!!***

• lash
    lash Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I have the exact same issue here. Hope Acer can fix this asap. it's really annoying, and we are stuck with only being able to use it properly when plugged in...

• Snakiest
    Options

Up. The problem persists, and it would be nice to hear what Acer has to say.

• MajeStyle
    MajeStyle Member Posts: 12 New User
    Options

Acer! We really need an answer....at least you should have told us not to upgrade our windows 8 tablet to this 8.1 that runed a very good product! Now it's useless without a power source. We seriously need an answer and a solution, we deserve it for the money we paid to you for this (now) almost useless product!

• Snakiest
    Options

I wonder if they are even reading this. Maybe we should take it deirectly to their support? 

• ptrkhh
    ptrkhh Member Posts: 72 Troubleshooter
    Options

I would recommend performing a Windows refresh. It will perform something like reinstallation, except without losing your account, metro apps, and license activation.

To do that, you need the ISO image of Windows 8.1 Single Language (or other edition that is running on your  W700) or it will not work.

Then you need to configure Windows to perform refresh from an ISO file instead of normal disc. The guide is posted here http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/18052-refresh-reset-windows-8-without-installation-disk.html

• MajeStyle
    MajeStyle Member Posts: 12 New User
    Options

That is not working..wasted a lot of time and still my tablet is useless without a power supply.Acer, please take care very fast!

• Snakiest
    Options

Thanks for reporting that. I was going to do it today. Glad you saved me time. I will try to contact support once I find time and report here if nobody does it before me.

• Snakiest
    Options

Hey guys, I feel the battery issue was fixed after installing a windows update yesterday. I have been on battery for 3 hours already, and it has gone ony 30% down. I wasn't using the computer much, but it would drain the battery like crazy even on Sleep before. This is a preliminary observation, so I will keep monitoring it and report again.

• 1stTimeAcer
    1stTimeAcer Member Posts: 96 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

If you disable the Low Power Mode setting, it will no longer throttle down as it would otherwise. That is the reason why I elected to go with Application Specific. Of course, if you are using applications that would normally need a good amound of processing power and want the tablet to run smoothly, it is of course going to drain the battery much faster regardless how power efficient the device is. It's like seeing your smart phone's battery only lasting mere hours when you play games on it.

On application specific, I'm getting a consistent 7 to 7.5 hours of usage (mix of Word, web browsing, music listening, and some video watching). Which I would consider excellent for something with this kind of power. If you find it dying to fast even with Application Specific, I would suggest taking a look at your Processes and see what program is keeping your CPU constantly racing.

• Snakiest
    Options
    Thanks, but I'm positive it is an update issue. I'm not half bad at computers and can tell when I did something wrong. On the bright side, the recent windows update seems to have fixed the issue, but I'm still testing.
  • Ethos
    Ethos Member Posts: 160 Troubleshooter
    Options

i wud recon. turn off all notifications .. log out from online acc. and stay with local.. set pwr to balance EVEN gpu set to balance..or pwr saver if u want..  once on batt. turn down screen .. 

• catalincmi
    catalincmi Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

hey,

new here and trying to find out why my W700 cant get over 4 hours of battery lfe... I'm on windows 8.1, latest drivers (VGA from Intel) and I don't have the Intel  DPTF option in my power settigs Smiley Sad . My usage is web browsing + video playback with wifi on ad bluetooth on. Would really love to see the 7 hours uptime since it was what sold me to this device.

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.