Replacement battery not recognized on an Aspire 8730

Options
Acer8730
Acer8730 Member Posts: 5 New User

I have an Aspire 8730 running Windows 7.  The original battery is 3+ years old understandably dead and will not charge.  With the power adapter plugged in and the computer turned off.  The charger light will display green with the occasional yellow flash.  After the laptop is powered up, the windows battery indicator recognizes the battery and shows a not charging message.

When the replacement battery - When the power adapter is plugged in with the laptop off the charging indicator immediately starts to flash yellow and when powered up, Windows reports no battery.

I've updated to the latest bios, exchanged the new battery with a replacement to make sure it isn't the new battery.  The volt meter shows that there is indeed charging voltage at the laptop/battery terminals.  The laptop runs fine on the AC adapter, which is showing 19 volts.

Does this model require an original Acer battery or am I missing something?  It seems to be bios/machine related as the charging lights indicate differently as soon as the adapter is plugged in.

Any help is appreciated!

Answers

• ScottyC
    ScottyC Member Posts: 433 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Where did you buy your replacement battery? This sounds a lot more like a compatibility issue than a bios or config issue.

Could you also include any information printed on the battery?

Thanks,
    ScottyC

• Acer8730
    Options

Thanks for the reply.

The batterys were both ordered through our local computer store here.  They ordered them from www.drbattery.com

The replacement battery part 3 is LAC208  14.8 V 4400mAh / 65Wh and says on the battery it replaces AS07B42 (which I confirmed is the the original).

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

I have found the some laptops won't charge a completely dead battery. In that case I just connect a dumb charger of the same voltage directly to the battery for a couple of minutes. That usually puts enough of a surface charge on to charge normally.Just make sure you get the polarity right and keep the amps low. A 300-500 ma chrger usuakky works well for me.

• Acer8730
    Options

Padgett - Were you thinking I try the dumb charger to the original battery dead battery?  The second replacement had enough of a charge to fire up the laptop and run it for 15 minutes or so......while Windows displayed the "no battery detected" message.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

No, that one works if the battery is completely dead. If it has any charge it should charge unless there is a defect. Does it try to charge the old battery and not the new ?

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Acer 8730, I'm sorry that you're having this problem.

Your replacement battery was manufactured by Dr. Battery, which is a reputable supplier of knock-off batteries. They should honor their warranty and either replace the battery or give you a refund.

• Acer8730
    Options

Yes, with the original battery in it the charging light goes from green to an occasional yellow.  Windows also shows its there.

• Vince53
    Options

Acer 8730, I'm sorry that you're having this problem. Your battery was manufactured by Dr. Battery, a reputable manufacturer of knock-off batteries at low prices. They should honor their warranty and refund your money or give you a replacement.

Be aware that Acer is not responsible for off-brand batteries or for any problems that they cause.

• Acer8730
    Options

Vince53 - Thanks, they've been great.  I got a second replacement battery from them and still have the same issue, which made me wonder if it had to be an OEM battery from Acer.  I'm beginning to wonder if it's not charging circuit related.

• aspire8730
    aspire8730 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Have you had any success with this. I'm in the same boat - new battery which the Acer Aspire 8730zg won't charge or recognise. Old battery still works OK but is not holding it's charge very long.

The new battery did have some charge originally and the laptop ran from it OK until it ran out of juice.

• Vince53
    Options

Aspire, try this. The Universal Laptop Cure is guaranteed to work 10% of the time.

Turn off your machine, unplug it and remove the battery. Hold the Power On button down for sixty seconds. That will remove static electricity, refresh your BIOS, and reset your battery's software. Then put it together and give it a try.

Another home remedy is to start your laptop without the new battery. Without turning it off, install the new battery.

If neither method works, ask for a refund.

This discussion has been closed.