Recovery Drive Deleted in Acer Aspire 5755G as a result of Windows 8.1 Installation

Options
AKRONOID
AKRONOID Member Posts: 7 New User

I did a Clean install of Windows 8.1 Pro on my 5755G & lost my recovery drive of 15GB in the Process.

Anyway to create a Recovery Drive like it had before for 8.1 pro?

Plus ive been facing alot of overheating & shutdown issues while using PS & playing games even on low settings. This used to happen in windows 7 & 8, Now facing the same issue in 8.1. Yes i always download and install the latest Drivers, don't tell me that i have outdated drivers. Plus is a Laptop Cooler a solution?

Games Played on 5755G are as follows :
Assassins Creed                                 : Overheating and result in Shutdown of Notebook

Assassins Creed Brotherhood              : Overheating and result in Shutdown of Notebook
Assassins Creed Revelations                : Overheating and result in Shutdown of Notebook
Assassins Creed 3                              : Overheating and result in Shutdown of Notebook
COD:Black Ops                                 : Overheating and result in Shutdown of Notebook
Bulletstorm                                      : Overheating and result in Shutdown of Notebook
BattleField 3                                    : Overheating and result in Shutdown of Notebook
Far Cry 3                                         : Overheating and result in Shutdown of Notebook

I've seen these games run smoothly without any lag with the same GPU, No ive not OC'd or UC'd the GPU.

My Specs are as follows :
Intel i3 2350M @ 2.3ghz 
2GB DDR3 RAM
1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 630M
500GB HDD

Is Coolpad a Solution for Gaming on my 5755G?  BS if this is the soultion.
Will adding an extra 4GB of RAM help ?

Reply Soon Admins!!

Answers

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Welcome aboard, Akronoid. The good news is that your problems appear to be solvable.

When you installed Windows 8.1, you deleted all your Acer drivers, but if there are problems, you can download them for free from the Acer site. 8.1 is so close to 8 that there should not be a problem.

I strongly urge people not to play hi-end games on laptops. If you get a fan cooler, it will lower your temperature about 5C. By installing the free CoreTemp program, you can keep an eye on things. Your video card can play most hi-end games if you set the graphics at their lowest level, but it is a middle-class video card that has trouble with the highest-end games produced after 2010. Even with an i7 Core CPU (you have an i3 Core CPU) your video card can't handle the highest-end games.

In upgrading to 8.1 you destroyed your hidden recovery partition, but that might not be a problem. I assume that you have kept your 8.1 download files, and you can burn them to a DVD. For about $20 shipping and handling, you can purchase recovery disks from Acer. If you start having trouble with 8.1, re-installing the drivers for your machine should solve the problem.

• AKRONOID
    Options

This helped!!
    Thank You! Smiley Happy

• AKRONOID
    Options

I've been also facing Overheating issue? can you help me out?

• Vince53
    Options

Akronoid, Old Buddy, let me tell you what happened. For tax purposes, Microsoft lied that windows 8.1 is an upgrade, but it is not. It is, by itself, a complete operating system. When you installed it, you deleted all your drivers and are now using the generic drivers that come with 8.1. Even if you were to purchase a legal copy of Windows 8, once installed, it would use generic drivers.

But it's not hopeless. Set your laptop to automatically download Windows updates and drivers, and then leave it online for a few hours. Set a System restore Point first. Then, after setting another System Restore Point, download the free driver software from IObit.com and let it find you some better drivers.

Time is on your side--my laptop has improved steadily over the last three weeks and runs good as new with windows 8.1.

I also recommend the following free programs that will not interfere with windows Defender: Malwarebytes, Glary Utilities, CCleaner, Spybot Search and Destroy, and SuperAntiSpyware (one word). Downloading, upgrading, and running deep scans with all of these programs will take a while, but they will remove a variety of minor problems that are hurting you.

Be careful that they don't sneak unwanted malware onto your machine when you download these programs.

• AKRONOID
    Options

Im not complaining about the Drivers, ive already updated them the day i installed Windows 8.1 Smiley Happy
    The problem i am facing is heating of the Laptop & when it heats up it automatically crashes & i mean it totally shuts down without a warning.
    Im not able to play any games even in low settings!!
    The Laptop Crashing happened on Windows 7, 8 & now 8.1 & i have all the latest drivers intalled & i know this is not a issue of drivers.
    I have no Idea what to do plus whats the idea of having a graphics card & not being able to play any games coz it crashes after a awhile!!
    Smiley Sad

• Vince53
    Options

With your laptop off, CAREFULLY shot a blast of compressed air into the exit vent. If you don't know where it is, run your finger along the edges while the computer is running and you'll eventually feel a blast of warm air.

Slightly elevate the two back corners, and that will lower your temperature about 10º F.

Install the free CoreTemp program to help you find out when and how the high temperature is being triggered.

It is possible that your fan has failed. If you cannot find an exit breeze, then you need to take it to a reputable computer shop.

This discussion has been closed.