JOIN OUR RANKS
Sign up for an Acer ID and get exclusive access to deals and the Predator Den community, where you can ask and answer questions about gaming and gear.
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information, and links on this page to other sites may not work. This page has been archived for future reference.Visit our Product Forums for more current content.
So, the other day I bought the W510. I decide to wipe the machine and give to my parents, but realize I can't figure out how to use the recovery DVD provided.
Finally I've figured it out, and decide to share with everyone:
1) Attach removeable DVD drive.
2) Shut down W510 (hold power 4 sec.)
3) Hold down volume-down key, and then press power. Machine should boot and quickly go into BIOS.
4) Create an admin (supervisor) password for yourself.
5) Disable secure boot. (Can't disable until you create admin password.)
6) Change boot order so that USB-CD / HDD boots first.
7) Insert ACER SYSTEM DISC into DVD drive. (THIS is the step I've been missing. So far, all posts I've read tells me to use recovery DVD, not the system DVD.)
8) Save changes to BIOS and reboot.
9) Acer SYSTEM DVD should boot, with a wizard walking you through system recovery. (You'll have to insert the Recovery DVD during this process. I inserted the one labeled "Recovery disc 1 of 1".)
Hope this helps!