Acer Aspire S7-391 Windows 8.1 issus with Touch Screen and Trackpad

Options
2»

Answers

• mikewoo
    mikewoo Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Hi all, recently updated to 8.1 and installed all 8.1 drivers on Acer site.  I managed to solve trackpad and touchscreen issues as recommended in this thread, thanks.

Two new issues have come up---first my fn+volume (up/down arrow) hot keys don't work. All other fn+key combos do. I have read old posts about similar problems, but nothing seems to work.

Second, my search charm is failing for control panel items. E.g., if I use the search charm, or just start typing, I can launch files and apps that come up, but if I search for, say, Change User Account Control Settings, or Change System Volume (anything that Search finds with a setting icon or notification flag icon), it will show but I can't click on it. It goes nowhere.

Mostly I know where to track down any settings I need through the Control Panel, but it kind of defeats the purpose of a search function if you can't access that sort of stuff quickly.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and help,

Mike

• heartychoke
    heartychoke Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

When I installed 8.1, one of the unpleasant things it did was lose all of the settings I had set for the touch pad.  For example, rather than have the left corner register a left click and the right corner a right click, I changed it to do what a Mac does - one-finger click anywhere for left click, two-finger click anywhere for right click.  I was really happy with this setup, and sad that it no longer worked that way after the upgrade.

So, I went to the Acer web page and downloaded and installed the latest touchpad drivers from Elan.  Problem is, the latest driver from Elan doesn't have the option to set a two-finger click as a right click.  In fact, it has much fewer options than it previously did.

Frustrated, I went looking for the previous version of the driver, installed it, and sure enough, all of the options I wanted were there again.  After a couple minutes of configuration, my touch pad is back working the way it was before the 8.1 upgrade.  The moral of this story is that the old driver worked fine.  I think the settings just had to be customized again back to the way I had them before.

----------------------------------------------------------------

How to change the settings for your trackpad

----------------------------------------------------------------

1) From the desktop, swipe the touchscreen from the right to reveal the charms bar.

2) Tap on Settings

3) Tap on Control Panel

4) Tap on Hardware and Sound

5) Under Devices and Printers, tap on Mouse

6) Tap on the Elan tab

7) Tap on Options

8) Select the settings you prefer and tap Apply

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where to get the previous version of the driver with all the options

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Go to the driver page as explained by sreddy642's post

sreddy642 wrote:

Acer has released a new set of drivers for Windows 8.1.

Just go to http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers and then pick Acer Aspire S7 391 with Windows 8.1.

You will see a set of new drivers all dated 10/8/2013 or later. Install the touchpad driver and you will be all set with double finger scrolling, etc.

2) Under the Operating System pulldown, select Windows 64-bit (note, do not select Windows 8.1 64-bit)

3) Download the ElanTech touchpad driver version 11.6.8.001, dated 2012/10/16

• PetersonRibeiro
    PetersonRibeiro Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi!

First of all, sorry for my terrible english... I hope you can understand me.

I've tried this solution, but it didn't work for me. I'm not sure if I did it right. I clicked on all USB controllers and some of them had the tab "Power Management", and inside this tab, "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". I unchecked all of them, but when I used the touch screen (even after some reboots) I still had to slide my finger up to down twice to close an aplication, and after 4~5 tries with no success, I rollback to Windows 8. Smiley Sad

I've tried to install the drivers for the 8.1 from the Acer suport, but it didn't work too. I contact the suport here on Brazil, but they just said to reinstall the sistem and upgrade again...

If you find anything I did wrong, please let me know.

Thank you for your attention!

USB.png

• laptouch
    laptouch Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Rosustefan's suggestion absolutely solved it!  I use an Acer V5 touch and I too encountered the iffy touch screen problem after the 8.1 update.