Is it possible to use the Intel Wireless Display with my Acer S7 391?

Options
generob
generob Member Posts: 5 New User

I have a Wireless Display Access Point in my office...hooked up to a big screen TV.  Does my S7 have Widi capability?  and if so, how do I enable this or set this up?

Answers

• Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 84 Troubleshooter
    Options

Hi generob

Inte Wireless Display (Widi) is not supported by this model.

• nigelsenior
    nigelsenior Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Picking up on an old thread here but what is it that prevents the S7 391 from using widi?  The components seem to be more than capable, with the latest drivers, of supporting widi so why have Acer not made this available in their premium ultrabook offer? More to the point what are Acer doing to make it available since wireless connectivity of this sort is an obvious benefit to an ultrabook such as the S7 and since it is at the top of the price range for Acer products. 

I have recently upgraded my S7 to windows 8.1 in the belief that this would then enable me to use Miracast and have had no joy in that direction either, despite upgrading the relevant drivers i still can't get the 'Project' option in 'Devices' to show the 'Add wireless display' feature.  As a customer of a premium Acer product I feel more than aggrieved about the lack of this connectivity, particularly as the micro hdmi port in my model has been damaged and no longer works!  It must be possible to enable connectivity with this important emerging wireless technology so can somebody explain how.  Or, if Acer insist it is not possible perhaps they can explain why that is!  

I have already wasted far more hours of my life on this than i wish to and with every passing minute my respect for my Acer product has been ebbing away! 

Thanks in anticipation to anyone who can shine a light on this!

Regards

Nigel

• Alan-London
    Options

WiDi is an Intel development that is dependent on Intel hardware. Check the Intel site for information on hardware that is compatible.
    You require compatible:

CPU
    Motherboard chipset
    WiFi card

If your S7 meets the hardware requirements then you should be able to use WiDi (with compatible hardware at the other end).
    While WiDi does need the necessary software in addition to the hardware, compliance cannot be met by software alone.

• nigelsenior
    nigelsenior Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Hi Alan

Thanks for your helpful reply on this.  The wifi card in the s7 391 is a Qualcomm Atheros card so have pretty much given up on the 'widi' option and after several very frustrating emails and one equally frustrating and unhelpful conversation with Acer they have advised me that the S7 391 running Windows 8.1 and the latest drivers is not miracast compatible.  The problem I have is a broken mini hdmi port in my ultrabook means that i either face the significant expense, presumably, of a new motherboard with a working hdmi port and a return to cable based projection.  Or I find a wireless solution of which Miracast looks like the only serious game in town - but not according to Acer.  What they didn't say is which component is incompatible but I assume it is the wifi card.  Can anyone clarify if it is the Qualcomm Atheros AR5BMD222 that is the problem.  When i try a google search for this card it returns nothing of value.  Not even referenced on the Atheros website. Very frustrating...

So, assuming it is the problem, does anyone know whether it would be possible to upgrade the WiFi card as presumably that would be a cheaper option than replacing the motherboard.

Thanks to anyone able to offer any insight into this problem

Nigel

This discussion has been closed.