Aspire AG3760 tower

Options
buryman61
buryman61 Member Posts: 9 New User

Just picked up a secondhand Aspire AG3760 tower. After 10 mins you hear a click from inside the tower and the screen goes black. I tried a second monitor with the same result so I know it's the tower not the monitor. Any ideas guys? Running vista home basic.

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi buryman61!

A few questions for you. When the "screen goes black", do you mean:

1. The monitor stays on, but everything is black and the tower appears to be on as normal?

2. The screen switches off into standby? 

3. The computer shuts down?

• buryman61
    Options

Thanks for getting back to me, finlux. Slight update. The monitor would go into standby mode with an image saying 'no signal'. The tower was still running - lit up, fans going but driver light had stopped.

Last night after much stop-starting I managed to restore factory settings but it still cut out. I tried sitting a desk fan blowing into the inside of the tower and up to last night it had stayed on.

Ok, had it running with fan blowing on it today and it cut out again at about 15-20 minutes. Re-started straight away and it lasted 2-3 minutes. Suggests heat but if big desk fan doesn't help I'm probably wrong.

• buryman61
    Options

Ok, managed to dl a program to check the internal heat while it was running ok. It started at 29° and just as it moved to 30° it cut out. Making me think over-heating may not be the problem. I gave the fans a clean although it wasn't actually too bad.  I've just ordered some thermal paste to redo the seal so I'll see how that turns out.

• finlux
    Options

Hi again buryman61

Thanks for the info! Hopefully the thermal paste will sort it out Smiley Happy

Anymore problems, please let us know

• buryman61
    Options

Ok, cleaned and applied fresh thermal paste today and it failed after no more than two minutes so overheating cannot be the problem. There is a definite click from inside the tower as it fails.

I have checked the RAM is seated correctly, cleaned all the pins, checked every plug is housed properly. Any ideas, guys?

• finlux
    Options

The only other thing it can be is the power supply. See if you can swap out or borrow a power supply from a friend or family member.

Power supplies can be bought quite cheaply, however, I'd advise against too cheap. Go for around 400-500 watts.

• buryman61
    Options

Great advice, finlux, I'll give that a try. Thanks again.

• finlux
    Options

Good Luck buryman61!

• buryman61
    Options

Fitted replacement PSU today and the fault remains. A friend wondered about a dry joint somewhere that maybe only kicked in once it warms up and things expand, wondered if you have heard of that or indeed how to test for that.

• finlux
    Options
    I have heard of heat causing things to expand, but not on a computer, entirely possible I suppose!

The only suggestion I have is to take it to your local PC store to see if they can test it out.
  • buryman61
    Options

Ok, thanks finlux

• buryman61
    Options

Managed to find a couple of fault reports today, one said WindowsWcpOtherfailure3 and the other one says WindowsWcpStoreCorruption and I notice the times it boots up ok I get the msg Configuring updates 1 of 3 as though they never actually finish each time.

Seems like odd errors considering I restored back to day one.

• finlux
    Options

The most likely fault could be the motherboard or RAM. You can test the RAM yourself. If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one stick at a time. If the computer works with no problems then the stick you removed is faulty & will need replacing.

If the problem still occurs, remove the stick & replace it with the other one and test again. You can also run Memtest (32 bit version) - this will takes hours to run.

If Memtest doesn't show any errors or the problem still exists, then I fear the motherboard is at fault....

• buryman61
    Options

Just an update in case anyone else has similar issues. Installed a different hard drive and booted from the backup disks. This takes about 10-15 minutes to install. Tried last night and I got the click and No signal message before it had finished so clearly not a software issue. Repeated this morning and managed to finish uploading from the disks. Even got about 10 minutes into windows reconfiguring before it clicked off.

I noticed during this uploading when the system reboots once or twice, the click as it restarts itself is exactly the same click I get when it fails. (in case that means anything to anyone).

Pretty much leaves the MB as the only culprit I haven't tried but I'm not sure I want to spend any more on it.

This discussion has been closed.