Aspire V5 limited wifi conncetivity issue

mebanez
mebanez Member Posts: 1 New User

The wifi connection keeps dropping while I'm working (use this mostly for work), which is very annoying, and everytime I start my laptop, there is no wifi connection. I usually disconnect wifi, and reconnects it after 10 seconds or so to get it back.

I am not well versed with computer technology, so that's the best I can do to work around this issue. However, I am extremely disappointed because I just bought this last month with high expectations (based on the advertised specs). I've had Toshiba laptops before and never had problems with wifi connectivity. I am now seriously thinking of returning this laptop unless a solution can be found.

May I ask Acer support for assistance on this matter?

Answers

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Meb, there is more than one possible cause of your problem, so there is more than one possible solution:

1) We're having this problem right now because the incompetents who set up our new wireless network didn't know what they are doing.

2) You might be getting interference from other broadcasts.

3) No, an overheating laptop does not overheat evenly. You might have a heat build-up around your antenna or WiFi hardware. Download the free Core Temp program (which only measures your core temperature, but it helps) and see if you're not running hot. Also, put your finger over the exit vent to make sure you are getting airflow. And with your laptop turned off, give the exit vent a short blast of compressed air.

4) Go to Control, Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, and make sure that everything is all right. If you can find your wireless adapter in there (you should be able to) select it, click on Properties, and check Power Management to make sure that it isn't set to turn off to save power.

5) Cut and paste this (you have to have the spaces correct):     cmd /k ipconfig /all       and then press your Windows key and R key to open the Run dialogue. Use Cntr+V to insert, and make sure that you aren't disconnected from the wireless service you're subscribed to. You'll have to scroll around a little to find "Lease obtained" and "Lease expired," but they're in there.

6) Your battery might have discharged to a certain level, and your laptop then shuts your Wifi antenna down. Go to Control Panel, Power Options, and then select whatever plan you are set for. Then select, Change Plan Settings, Change Advanced Power Settings, Wireless Adapter Settings (you might have to hunt around a little to find it), Power Savings Mode. You will now have the menu for both plug-in and battery power. Select them both (one at a time, of course), and select Maximum Performance. You then need to restart your computer.

If none of this works, come on back and tell us what happened.

• BERS
    BERS Member Posts: 1 New User

I also have an Aspire V5 (571) that I purchased at Costco in the summer (2013). It was fine on the wifi connectivity issue until the last month or so. I have tried most of the rememdies that I have seen listed on these forums and other web pages. I have checked that the drivers are updated. I have checked the power settings, etc. It happens when the battery is low, it happens when it is plugged in.

Any further suggestions?

This discussion has been closed.