black screen acer 5542

Options
Nathan
Nathan Member Posts: 4 New User

i have an acer aspire 5542 and when i press the power button the laptop turns on but it is just a black screen can anybody help ???????

Best Answer

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator
    Answer ✓
    Options

I am unaware of any BIOS update that would resolve your issue with your computer displaying a black screen. This would generally indicate a hardware problem that requires service. If your computer will not boot into the BIOS, or just boots to a black screen or black screen with a cursor, we recommend you contact your local support in your region, to inquire about service options.

Answers

• JB2579
    JB2579 Member Posts: 9 New User
    Options

You and me both, except mines an M5-481PT. i'm totally stuck due to a failed bios update (which i downloaded from acer)

• mazen
    mazen Member Posts: 57 New User
    Options

what happened Nathan?

• Nathan
    Options

well i was playing a game on my laptop and then the screen went white and then just turned itself off ever since then when you press the power button it lights up you can hear the fan but the screen stays black

• mazen
    Options

you get 2 possible answers:

1- video card is screwd (hope not)

2- you have memory issue

Try to reset your computer and see if it is a memory(RAM) issue

• Nathan
    Options

how do i know if its a problem with the video card and ive reset the computer loads of times nothing works ive also took the memory rams out to see if that was the problem and still nothing

• tudoi
    tudoi Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY SPIRE ONE 722. OTHER WEB SAID THAT THE PROBLEM DUE TO THE BIOS. THE BIOS NEEDS TO BE REBUILT. THEY SAID WE NEED SOME FILES WITH .FD BUT I COULD NOT FIND IT. OTHER ONES INFORMED THAT ACER KNOW THE PROBLEM AND KNOW HOW TO REBUILD THE BIOS IF IT DOES START BUT IT SEEMS TO ME THAT ACER HIDES THE PROBLEM TO MAKE MONEY. I 'M VERY FRUITRATED. ABOUT ACER PRODUCTS. 

• mazen
    Options

Acer is a low end pc products, that's why the company keep hiding and hiding problems.

even tech support don't know that hidden stuff and i think is if you can re-install the bios from Dos with a usb pen that will be great, have tried it??

Good luck

• Nathan
    Options

i wasnt to sure on how to update it any ideas on how

• mazen
    Options

just download the bios from acer site and make sure u can do it from dos, that means bios update from acer should be dos update not windows update!!! cause u can't access windows right?

Did you try to get into your bios and set default settings?

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator
    Answer ✓
    Options

I am unaware of any BIOS update that would resolve your issue with your computer displaying a black screen. This would generally indicate a hardware problem that requires service. If your computer will not boot into the BIOS, or just boots to a black screen or black screen with a cursor, we recommend you contact your local support in your region, to inquire about service options.

• dkeyburn
    dkeyburn Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

I have the same problem I turn on my acer tablet and it goes on but the screen does not...I called best buy where I bought it and they say just to look at it and not even knowing if they can fix the problem it would cost $130.00...I paid that on sale. Seems unfair to me...I had a warranty but expired in december....and never used the warranty for the whole year so I didnt renew it...I love my tablet and can not afford to get it fixed or buy another one....does anyone know what I can do???

Thanking you in advance...

Diane

• dkeyburn
    Options

Again, I will say this is a tablet and yes it is a hardware problem which they say will cost 130.00 for service....when I paided 129.00 on sale with a 49.00 warranty that expired in Dec. without even taking advantge of the warranty. I can spend that...who else can I go to for this...I would even try to open the back myself becuase I think something fell out of place and connect it myself if I can...but I can not even get into the tablet...any ideas?

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,557 Trailblazer
    Options

You can test the video adapter by getting an HDMI cable from Home Depot or Lowes and connecting to a TV with an HDMI port. Or connect an external VGA monitor to the VGA port. You may have to press the Fn + F5 or F6 keys simultaneously to toggle the external screens on and off.

If you see a screen on the TV or VGA monitor, your video adapter is probably OK. In this case, I would first try to re-seat the video ribbon connectors from the MB to the internal screen. You will probably have to remove the keyboard and screen bezel in order to remove and re-insert these connectors. Caution --- remove the battery and power supply when fiddling with these connectors.

Report back with your results.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ibram
    ibram Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

I got a blinky screen when truned on my acer e1-571 windows 8 was pre-installed. it's not a hardware issue because it boots find in safe mode and can not refresh windows because some files are missing , the installation media will provide them. So the only solution offerd to me is to pay to get the installation media and never got answer of why i can not access the hidden recovey partition with DISKPART Command or what soever method to create the media my self.

anyway it is a bad experience. it is the first and last time to buy acer product.

• JackE
    Options

OK. Try this. Get into safe mode. Then, press and hold the shift key while re-starting windows. You should get into the Acer recovery mode from the hidden partition.

Report back with results.

Jack E/NJ

PS this message is for ibram, not for the others

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Options

For the others who still want to test their video adapter, try this.

Get an HDMI cable from Home Depot or Lowes and connect to a TV with an HDMI port. Or connect an external VGA monitor to the VGA port. You may have to press the Fn + F5 or F6 keys simultaneously to toggle the external screens on and off.

If you see a screen on the TV or VGA monitor, your video adapter is probably OK. In this case, I would first try to re-seat the video ribbon connectors from the MB to the internal screen. You will probably have to remove the keyboard and screen bezel in order to remove and re-insert these connectors. Caution --- remove the battery and power supply when fiddling with these connectors.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dkeyburn
    Options

TO EVERYONE....this is a tablet not a computer

• JackE
    Options

Sorry dkeyburn. I thought the acer 5542 was a laptop?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ibram
    ibram Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

JackE wrote:

OK. Try this. Get into safe mode. Then, press and hold the shift key while re-starting windows. You should get into the Acer recovery mode from the hidden partition.

Jack E/NJ

PS this message is for ibram, not for the others

Hi Jack Thanks. I did it this way and got the same message " Insert your installation or recovery media".

I would like to note that the hard drive contains 2 hidden partitions 1 is 400MB Recovery and the 2nd is 16GB Push Botton. So I would like to access the 2nd.

• JackE
    Options

Try following this link to unhide those partitions to Win8 explorer using the diskpart command as administrator. Then you may be able to transfer them onto a USB stick and use it for recovery. 

http://medicblog.net/?p=906

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.